- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 medium tomato, red
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounce pinto beans, canned
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 cup spinach
- 6 large pita, whole wheat
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1 cup apricots, dried
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 tablespoon dill weed, dried
- Rinse quinoa well. After rinsing, combine the quinoa with 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Mince onion. Finely dice pepper. Dice tomato. Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the bell pepper and sauté 4-5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the pinto beans. Add to the sauteed vegetables along with the remaining ingredients, except the pita, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over medium-low heat, loosely covered, for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle further and for the quinoa to absorb the tomato flavors.
- While the mixture is simmering, cut the pitas in half and carefully open them up.
- For the slaw: Juice lemon. Mix slaw ingredients, cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To serve, stuff pita with spinach and quinoa mixture and serve with slaw on the side. (Serving size: 1/2 cup quinoa mixture, 1/2 cup spinach, 1 pita, 1/2 cup slaw)
Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 947mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 12g