Switch up your breakfast routine with this yummy Breakfast Pizza! A super simple 5 minute pizza dough is topped with scrambled eggs, sausage, veggies and cheese for a delicious and filling meal that is guaranteed to have people fighting over the last slice!
Why we are Loving this Breakfast Pizza Recipe
When it comes to savory breakfast options, I have covered everything from Breakfast Casserole to Breakfast Sliders. They are all delicious and make frequent appearances at our breakfast- and occasionally dinner- table. So I wasn’t exactly looking for another variation when I stumbled upon this humble pie.
But boy am I glad I did.
The ingredients are pretty standard when it comes to breakfast fare- eggs, sausage, cheese. However, there is nothing at all standard about the taste and texture of this breakfast pizza. The delightfully chewy homemade crust, pillowy scrambled eggs, and savory toppings just come together perfectly.. and in all the fabulous handheld portability of a slice of pizza. In the “I-am-entirely-full-but-maybe-just-one-more-sliver” type of way. Or the “Hey, what happened to the rest of that breakfast pizza?” kind of way. I think you get the idea. Make this pizza. You won’t regret it.
Ingredients you need for this Breakfast Pizza
5-Minute Pizza Crust:
- Flour– For this recipe we use regular all-purpose flour.
- Parmesan Cheese– We like to use freshly grated Parmesan.
- Yeast– You will need rapid-rise yeast for this quick and easy pizza dough!
- Olive Oil– Any neutral flavored oil will work.
- Sugar– A bit of sugar helps to activate the yeast.
- Ground Sausage– We used regular ground sausage. You could also use breakfast, hot or sweet ground sausage.
- Bell Pepper– Bell pepper adds a little sweetness and a bit of crunch. Use any color you have available.
- Milk– We used 2% milk.
- Mozzarella Cheese– Part-skim mozzarella cheese is creamy and melts easily.
- Cheddar Cheese– Cheddar cheese adds a nice sharp flavor to the pizza.
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make This Easy 5-Minute Pizza Dough:
- Activate yeast. Add the water, sugar, oil, and yeast to a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. Whisk to combine. Set aside and allow the mixture to get foamy.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Add the flour, Parmesan cheese, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add the liquid and create your dough. With the food processor running, slowly pour in the yeast mixture. Continue processing until the mixture comes together and form a shaggy ball. This can take about a minute.
- Roll out the dough. Dump out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a few times to allow the dough to come together into a ball. Cut the dough in half. Quickly roll out the dough, creating a circle that is roughly 11 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet or pizza pan.
How to Make this Breakfast Pizza:
- Roll out the pizza dough. Divide the dough in half, and roll into two even circles. Place the dough on two parchment lined pizza pans or baking sheets.
- Cook the sausage. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground sausage and cook, stirring frequently and breaking the sausage into pieces. When mostly cooked, add the diced bell pepper and continue cooking for a couple more minutes or until softened. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set plate aside.
- Cook the eggs. In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Slowly pour in the milk and continue whisking until slightly thickened. Stir in the salt and pepper. Crack the eggs into the skillet and whisk to combine. Cook until the eggs are a soft set texture- they will continue to cook in the oven.
- Top the pizza. Dividing all the ingredients between the two pizza crusts, spread each with the egg mixture, then top with the sausage and pepper mixture. Lastly, add both of the cheeses.
- Bake. Bake in a 475 degree oven until the toppings are browned and bubbly.
- Slice and enjoy!
Tips & Suggestions
Avoid overcooking the eggs. The eggs will continue to cook in the oven, so resist the temptation to fully cook them on the stove. You want a soft set egg that will cook up to the perfect consistency in the oven. Overcooking them beforehand will result in rubbery eggs.
Try subbing out the pizza dough. This dough recipe is really fast and simple, but if you are short on time try using store bought pizza dough or pre-baked pizza crusts. You can also make smaller, individual sized Breakfast Pizzas using tortillas or Greek pita bread.
Meat substitution ideas: Instead of ground sausage try cooked bacon pieces, diced ham, or rotisserie chicken.
Experiment with different toppings. Breakfast Pizza is almost as customizable as traditional pizza! Here are some other delicious topping ideas:
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Diced Onions
- Sliced Black Olives
- Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- Black Beans
- Diced Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Avocado (after baking)
- Top with Fresh Herbs
- Diced Green Chilies
- Roasted Red Peppers
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes:
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough recipe link below
- 16 ounces ground sausage
- 1 1/2 cups bell peppers diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 475℉. Prepare pizza dough and set aside to rise.
- In a large skillet, add the ground sausage and use a meat shopper or spatula to break it up. When the sausage is mostly cooked, add the diced peppers. Saute until they begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes or until the sausage is cooked all the way through. Remove the sausage mixture to a plate lined with paper towel. Blot to remove excess fat.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and flour and whisk together over medium heat. Once they are combined, slowly pour in the milk while constantly whisking. Add salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Crack the eggs into the sauce and whisk to combine. Cook until the eggs are a soft set texture. Don't overcook or the eggs will be rubbery!
- Roll your pizza dough into 2 rounds and top with the egg mixture, then sausage mixture. Spread these evenly and then top with both cheeses.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the toppings are browned and bubbly in the center. Slice and enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
I don’t have the package with me so I don’t know the # of ingredients, but I’ve been making pizza on Flat Out Light Italian Herb wraps (pre-baked to crisp up) and they’ve been great at about 4 net carbs & uber fiber! ~Min
Love your breakfast pizza, I use ricotta on everything these days!
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jen Kids, JM Bonna. JM Bonna said: Yum! There seems to be HFC in EVRYTHNG RT @Healthykids: Breakfast Pizza. Quick way 2 srt the day. http://bit.ly/hBjZFO http://fb.me/ynGXdvjw […]
Love this idea. We’ve been floundering on healthy, interesting breakfast ideas. We’ll use toasted sandwich rounds for the base and yogurt for the “sauce”. Thanks for the inspriration!
This looks yummy, my kids would hopefully eat it. The only know about the pepperoni kind of pizza. We did make your cabbage slaw over the weekend and I of course loved it but the kids didn’t care for it. Good luck on your exam.
Sorry they didn’t like it.
I got an 86% on my final, which was great, considering I was expecting a D 🙂
It really looks yummy. I will try it and hopefully we’ll all enjoy it. Thanks.