Pita Pizza – Easiest recipe ever!
Hi, I’m Kawn from Kids Food Universe. I’m super excited to be back this month with one of my favorite easy dinner recipes!
If you’re looking for an easy win in the kitchen then look no further than these tasty Pita Pizzas. In fact so easy will the win be that it will almost feel like cheating and your kids will be powerless as they are lead in by their noses to the dinner table. Pita Pizzas are quick , easy and can also be relied upon to fill both meal and snack time slots perfectly . It’s also a perfect opportunity to create your own pizza restaurant for the Super Bowl and keep those hungry guests fed in between bowls of guacamole.
The sky’s the limit as far as the toppings go here! They say variety they say is the spice of life. It works for a vegetarian or the meat your kids crave. It can also be a sneaky vehicle for getting those extra vegetables into them! After all pizza is pizza very few can refuse the temptation.
Great toppings can also be tuna fish, chicken shreds, shrimps, and anything you basically imagine will work.
What I do when I cook spaghetti Bolognese or just an ordinary sauce is freeze the left overs and use them for this recipe. This adds mountains of flavor to these pita breads with a minimum of fuss which every mom can use once in a while right?
Pita Pizzas are also an excellent way to peak your little ones interest in cooking. As soon as they can stand on a chair get them busy creating their own favorite toppings. Watch out though as you might soon have the neighbors kids knocking. I save this recipe for when I need a ”mommy break” but still need to serve something tasty and satisfying for our family table. I promise you IT DOES taste good and IT DOES taste like pizza.
- 6 large pita, whole wheat
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup corn, canned
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 6 medium mushrooms, white
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- Spread 2 tbsp of pizza tomato sauce on each pita bread
- Top it with the desired produce
- Add the shredded cheese last
- Place the pita breads with the topping in a preheated oven 392 F (200C) until the cheese melts well.
- To make the meat sauce: Add half the oil to a hot saucepan.
- Saute the ground meat and separate it with your spatula
- When it turns brownish add the onion and saute that as well.
- Add the herbs and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Last, add the tomato sauce and leave everything simmering for about an hour stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the olive oil when the sauce starts to dry a little and turn.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie