Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
This Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole is packed with veggies, Italian sausage, cheese, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. It’s a healthy, satisfying, and delicious meal for those breakfast for dinner nights!
Why we really love this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole:
One of my favorite things about casserole recipes is that everything you need for a complete meal is packed into one dish. After a bit of prep work, you throw it in the oven and your work is done until chow time! This Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole is no exception. While it does take a bit of time to chop the veggies and cook the sweet potatoes and sausage, it’s still one of the easiest dinners I make. Because this particular casserole makes an appearance at our dinner table far more often than our breakfast table! It is so savory and filling, and packed with good for you ingredients.
The sweet potato adds just a bit of sweetness that balances the spicy sausage to perfection. You can use regular potatoes, but trust me here. Sweet potatoes are the way to go. But this is a very forgiving recipe, so feel free to switch up whatever protein or veggies you prefer. Or play with the flavor by adding fresh herbs!
Easy, delicious, healthy, and filling… can you see why we love it so much?
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole:
- sweet potato– brings just a hint of sweetness to this savory dish
- sausage– we used bulk Italian sausage, but you could use hot sausage, bacon, or leave it out entirely for a vegetarian dish
- onion– we like sweet onions
- bell peppers– we used red and green, but any bell peppers will work
- mushrooms– we used button mushrooms
- salt & pepper– to enhance the flavor
- spinach– we use baby spinach, but kale would be yummy too!
- tomatoes– cherry or grape tomatoes work best here
- eggs– you can add extra eggs to increase the amount of servings
- milk– we used 2%
- mozzarella cheese– almost any cheese will work here. Don’t use pre-shredded cheese, it doesn’t melt nearly as well
How to Make Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole:
- Chop sweet potatoes, onion, bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Saute the sweet potatoes in a hot skillet with oil until browned and almost tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook, breaking it up as it browns. When it is almost done, add the chopped onion. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, then add the bell peppers, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Slice tomatoes in half and add them to the dish.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour over the casserole and top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole:
Yes! Cut your leftover casserole into serving sizes. Wrap each piece individually in foil or plastic wrap and place in a freezer storage bag. They will last up to 2 months and make a great quick breakfast option!
Absolutely! You can also use frozen hashbrowns to speed up prep time.
What I love about casserole recipes is that they are so adaptable! Use (or leave out) any veggies you want! This is our favorite combination, but feel free to be creative and come up with your own!
One of my favorite things about breakfast casserole is that it pretty much has everything you need, right in one dish! However, muffins go lovely with this savory casserole. Or, serve it with a fruit smoothie. It also makes a great addition to a brunch spread.
More Delicious Breakfast Casserole Recipes:
- Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Blackberry Breakfast Bars
- Breakfast Casserole
- Baked Breakfast Sliders
Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounce italian sausage, ground
- 1/2 medium onion, red
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 1/4 cup white mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cup spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 10 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 ounce mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Peel and dice your sweet potato into small cubes. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat; once hot, add sweet potato cubes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until almost tender.
- While potatoes cook, chop the onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms.
- Remove cooked sweet potatoes from pan and set aside.
- Add ground sausage to pan and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while it browns. Once it’s almost cooked, add chopped onion. Stir and let cook for 2 minutes, then add bell peppers, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes and then remove from heat. Stir in roughly chopped spinach, then dump into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Halve cherry tomatoes and add to pan.
- In a bowl, add eggs and milk; whisk to combine. Pour over casserole and top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes and serve warm.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Does step #6 also include adding sweet potatoes?
Can this recipe be frozen? If so, would it be cooked completely first and then frozen?
Hi there! Yes, you can freeze this casserole. Bake it first in a metal pan, then cover and freeze. When you’re ready to serve, place the whole frozen casserole into a 350 oven until it’s heated through.