This egg casserole is packed with veggies, Italian sausage, cheese, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Delicious for those breakfast for dinner nights!
Sweet Potato Hash Brown Casserole
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash Brown Casserole
You’ll start out by peeling and chopping up your sweet potato. Potatoes take longer to cook so when we put it into our casserole we need to make sure it has a head start and it already almost cooked through. Throw the pieces into a pan and let them cook until tender.
After the potatoes cook, it’s time for the meat and veggies! I used the same pan as the potatoes so that I would have less dishes to do at the end. Cook your veggies until they’re starting to soften. They’ll cook more in the oven but this just helps them along. If you were to throw your veggies into the casserole raw, they would come out fairly raw!
Dump all the ingredients into you casserole dish and pour the egg mixture on top! Top with cheese and it’s ready to hit the oven!
I love that this recipe feeds a crowd! Everyone can eat breakfast at once and everyone has a hot meal on their plate. No fussing to keep pancakes or waffles warm in the oven, egg casseroles are always the answer!
Are Sweet Potatoes a Starch or a Vegetable?
Like white potatoes, sweet potatoes have a high amount of starch when compared to other vegetables, which means that a portion of sweet potatoes has about triple the calories of a similar volume of carrots or other vegetable. If you eat sweet potatoes with their skins, you also get a lot of fiber. Even though it isn’t true that the skin contains most of the vitamins and minerals, it contains a large portion of the fiber. It is always better to eat fruits and vegetables with edible skins to get the most nutritional advantage from their fiber content.
Sweet Potato Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon oil, vegetable
- 8 ounce italian sausage, ground
- 1/2 medium onion, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 1/4 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 cup spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 10 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 ounce mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Peel and dice your sweet potato into small cubes. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat; once hot, add sweet potato cubes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- While potatoes cook, chop the onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms.
- Remove cooked sweet potatoes from pan and set aside.
- Add ground sausage to pan and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while it browns. Once it’s almost cooked, add chopped onion. Stir and let cook for 2 minutes, then add bell peppers, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes and then remove from heat. Stir in roughly chopped spinach, then dump into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Halve cherry tomatoes and add to pan.
- In a bowl, add eggs and milk; whisk to combine. Pour over casserole and top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes and serve warm.