This healthy chocolate mousse recipe calls for just four ingredients, and comes together in minutes! Try the creamy, dreamy mousse that’s fancy enough for a special occasion and easy enough for a weeknight.
There’s just something about a decadent, chocolatey mousse that makes everybody in the room fall silent. The sweetness and airiness. Those fluffy peaks rising high over a fancy glass. Listen: you won’t hear a THING except the happy clink of spoons against glass.
This chocolate mousse recipe is special not just because it’s airy, rich, and delicious. It’s also special because it’s FAST to make, and because it has an ingredient list that just about anybody can get behind.
If you’re looking for a delicious chocolate dessert that has NO egg, NO dairy, NO gelatin, NO sugar, and NO gluten, you’ve come to the right place.
But let’s get to the important part: this mousse tastes fantastic, and no one will know you were conscientious about the ingredient list. They’ll just know they want more!
Why We Love This Chocolate Mousse for Kids
Kids are probably going to love anything that comes their way that resembles a bowl full of chocolate. And this chocolate mousse recipe is no exception. What IS different about this dessert, is that the ingredients are simple, minimally-processed, and nutritious. Here’s the whole ingredient list (brace yourself.)
- Coconut cream (from a can)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
This recipe is allergy-friendly! With no dairy, eggs, wheat, or nuts, it’s safe and suitable for most kids in most settings.
We also love making this dessert for kids because it feels super fancy for them (despite the fact that it takes MINUTES to make.) So it’s a fun way to make kids feel special.
Tips for Making Excellent Mousse
Take note of a few best mousse practices so yours turns out just right!
- When you’re making your mousse, use just the thick coconut cream from the can of coconut milk. You might want to have two cans of coconut milk ready, so you’ll have enough cream. Or you can buy entire cans of coconut cream at some stores. (Trader Joe’s sells them!)
- Chill the coconut cream in the freezer for a couple of hours before you whip up the mousse. Don’t skip this step: it helps the mousse hold it’s shape!
- Get your beaters or stand-mixer ready. This mousse needs to be whipped vigorously to get that thick and airy texture. Once you turn the motor on, it’ll take about three minutes to turn into magical mousse.
- To get that pretty swirly shape, use a piping bag with a tip, like this one. If you don’t have one, you can snip he bottom corner off a zip-top bag and pipe your mousse into glasses that way. It works!
- Serve chocolate mousse in a clear glass or jar so you can admire the pretty swirls.
- Add a few berries on top for extra flavor, color, and nutrition. We used strawberries but you could also try cherries, pears, pineapples, or raspberries.
More Healthy Chocolate Desserts
- 15 Healthy Chocolate Desserts!
- Chocolate zucchini bundt cake
- Healthy chocolate mint mousse
- Chocolate peppermint mousse
- Double chocolate banana cake
- Chocolate fudge!
Thick and Creamy Chocolate Mousse
- Place coconut milk (use full-fat coconut milk for best results) in the freezer for about an hour prior to making the mousse. NOTE: You need to 2 full cups of solid coconut cream. If one can of coconut milk doesn’t have enough solid coconut cream, then use more from another can.
- Spoon the thickened coconut milk (cream) out of the can and place in a large bowl or mixer.
- Add honey, vanilla, and cocoa powder.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with fruit.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie