A delicious rich and creamy Chocolate & Mint Mousse that’s dairy and refined sugar free!
Hi, it’s Ciara here from My Fussy Eater. I am excited to be back here on Super Healthy Kids sharing some of my ideas and recipes for picky eating families. With the festive season in full swing I thought I would share a delicious yet healthy dessert recipe that can be whipped up in a matter of minutes.
After a big Christmas dinner dessert can sometimes be too much to stomach and that’s why I love making this chocolate mousse. There’s something about the flavours of chocolate and mint together that taste so amazing at this time of year and the light and airy mousse makes the perfect end to a festive meal!
This mousse is gluten, dairy and egg free; making it the perfect dessert to make when you are catering for a number of different allergies. It’s also super nutritious too, made from avocado and banana rather than than cream. The mousse is sweetened with maple syrup but you could also use honey, date syrup or another liquid sweetener of your choice. For children you can always add a little extra sweetener for their little taste buds.
For those of you worried about the taste, I promise that you cannot taste the avocado and banana. I’ve tried this recipe out on several people; none of whom could guess what the ingredients were!
Healthy Chocolate & Mint Mousse
- 2 medium avocado
- 1 medium banana
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, dark
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup, pure
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth. (coconut milk can be substituted with almond milk or cows milk)
- If the mousse is a little too thick add another tablespoon of milk.
- Spoon or pipe into ramekins. Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 6 hours.
As well as being super nutritious, this mousse is also super easy to make. It takes seconds to blitz up in a blender and can either be served straight away in a ramekin or kept in the fridge for several hours until you are ready to serve up.