A healthy cake recipe that doesn’t disappoint!
This lightened up chocolate cake has no oil, uses bananas and applesauce to keep it moist, and has just the right amount of chocolate to make it feel like an indulgent treat. No frosting required!
Every now and then it’s okay to indulge in a little treat, but this chocolate cake is lightened up enough that you won’t feel horrible for eating it. Instead of oil, there are bananas and applesauce, which make this cake tender and moist. I used a stand mixer to mash the bananas and mix the applesauce. The cocoa and semi-sweet chocolate chips make it decadent, without being overly sweet like a regular frosted chocolate cake.
The greatest thing about this banana cake, is that it whips up in a jiffy. The hardest part is waiting for it to bake in the oven. You can pour the batter into a loaf pan like you would regular banana bread. The square cake pan requires less baking time (30 minutes vs 1 hour for a loaf), which is nice when you are craving chocolate ASAP.
Chocolate cake brings back so many happy memories from my childhood. Growing up, my sister and I would put our chocolate cake in a bowl, pour milk on it, and then eat it. This cake is so moist that it totally doesn’t need milk, unless you are drinking it to wash down the chocolate. But I couldn’t help reminiscing about my younger days with my sister. If only life were as complicated as choosing chocolate cake with, or without milk. Haha. Ah to be young again!
If you like this recipe, you’ll want to check out my BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS, With tips and tricks to getting perfectly peaked muffins every time.
Amber is a wife and mother who loves to eat her dessert first! She started her blog, “Dessert Now, Dinner Later” in 2011, as a way to keep up with her skills as a culinary graduate while being a stay-at-home mom. Amber’s blog is a place for her to share her best recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials, to help you be an outstanding home cook with culinary know-how.
For more chocolate cake recipes, try:
- 3 medium banana
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semisweet
- 1/8 cup mini chips chocolate chips, semisweet
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the bananas and brown sugar until the bananas are mashed and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla, and egg. Mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pour batter into a greased 8×8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 35 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick to determine doneness. Best eaten warm.