Say what you will about the pumpkin spice fanatics, I think there’s really something to diving headfirst into the seasonal flavors. Now that pumpkin season is (mostly) behind us, stores are bringing out all their holiday flavored goods–salted caramel, marshmallow, and peppermint among them.
As a gluten and dairy free family, we skip out on a lot of the ice creams, hot cocoa flavors, and such, but I always find I’m looking for ways to incorporate those holiday flavors in a healthy way. If you’d asked me a few years ago if I believed dairy free desserts could be delicious, I probably would have rolled my eyes at you and asked you to pass me the caramel sauce.
Now, with a daughter with very strict dietary needs and a few years’ of gluten and dairy free experience under my belt, I want to shout it from the rooftops! Try date or coconut caramel! Embrace fruit-filled desserts! Give dairy free ice cream a go! There are so many delicious options out there. It’s just a matter of experimentation and landing on a good recipe.
This Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Mousse is a perfect example. It’s rich, creamy, and absolutely delicious. We reduce the sugar by using a smaller amount of maple sugar or coconut sugar and choose GFDF chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life brand).
Notes on the recipe:
If you can’t find a can of unsweetened coconut cream (I find mine at Trader Joe’s). Use two cans of unsweetened full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator for a few hours. Remove thick white cream from the top of the can and save the thin, clear liquid. You can use this for another use (great in smoothies or for cooking rice or curries). The cream from two cans of full-fat coconut milk = 1 full can of coconut cream.
For a stronger peppermint flavor, you can substitute 1 small drop of peppermint essential oil for the peppermint extract. Know that the flavor will be stronger.
Emily eats, reads, lives, and loves at One Lovely Life. Here she shares healthy recipes, great book recommendations, and happy thoughts.
Chocolate Peppermint Mousse
- 1 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips, dark
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together coconut cream, milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and cornstarch.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring regularly, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Whisk until very smooth.
- Chill in the refrigerator until completely cooled (several hours or overnight).
- Mixture will be very thick when chilled. Pour mixture into a large bowl and whip with hand mixer about 1 minute, or until mixture loosens and gets a little fluffy.
- Chill and serve when ready!
- If you can’t find a can of unsweetened coconut cream, you can use two cans of unsweetened full-fat coconut milk (place in the refrigerator for a few hours). Remove thick white cream from the top of the can and save the thin, clear liquid for another use (great in smoothies or for cooking rice or curries). The cream from two cans of full-fat coconut milk = 1 full can of coconut cream.
- For a stronger peppermint flavor, you can substitute 1 small drop of peppermint essential oil for the peppermint extract. Know that the flavor will be stronger.