Homemade pizza dough is the best thing to make on a Friday night! This pizza dough recipe only has a few ingredients and is easy enough for your kids to make!
How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough
- First get your yeast going- it should look nice and bubbly after about 5-10 minutes.
- Mix your oil, salt, and flour in with the yeast mixture. I let mine knead with a dough hook in my KitchenAid for about 5 minutes. If you don’t have a mixer, knead your dough on your counter with a little flour until the dough isn’t sticky.
- Place it in an oiled bowl and cover. Put it in a warm place to let it rise.
- Let it rise for about an hour or until double in size.
- Punch it down and set it on your pizza stone or pizza pan. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- If you are just making one pizza, you can roll your dough out right on your pan. Roll your dough very thin. It will puff up a lot during baking, so if you don’t want a 4-inch thick crust, then roll it thin!
- Place on a stone or pan and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes (just the dough). Then add your toppings and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust has started to brown.
What are the Ingredients in Homemade Pizza Dough
5 Tips for Making the Best Pizza Dough at Home
- Heat a pizza stone in the oven before you put your dough on it.
- Roll your dough as thin as you can possibly get it. It will rise a lot and become too thick and bread-like if you don’t roll it thin (especially when using whole wheat flour).
- Use a dough docker (or a fork) to prevent your dough from bubbling. This also helps your dough to rise evenly.
- Make sure your don’t skip pre-baking your dough before you put the toppings on.
- Brush the edges of the crust with a little olive oil before baking with the toppings.
Our Favorite Homemade Pizza Toppings
There is something about a classic pepperoni pizza, but if you make pizza every Friday night then it is fun to switch it up! These are some of our favorite pizza topping combos:
- Chicken Pesto: Grilled chicken + Pesto Sauce + Mozzarella
- Margherita: Plum Tomatoes + Fresh Mozzarella + Basil Leaves
- Fall Veggie Pizza: Sweet Peppers + Carmelized Onions + Oven Dried Tomatoes + Pesto + Mozzarella
- Hawaiian Pizza: Natural Ham + Pineapple Chunks + Mozzarella
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: Shredded BBQ Chicken + Sautéed Red Onion + Mozzarella Cheese + Cheddar Cheese + BBQ Sauce/Ranch Sauce
- Classic Veggie: Tomatoes + Sweet Peppers + Mushrooms + Pineapple + Onions + Olives
Favorite Homemade Pizza Recipes
- Kale and Chicken Sausage Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Greek Pizza
- Tex Mex Pizza
- Pump It Up Pizza
- Thai Pizza
Best Homemade Pizza Crust
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast, active dry
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 3/4 cup flour, whole wheat
- 2 cup pizza sauce
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounce pepperoni
- Add yeast, sugar, and water to a large mixing bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt, oil and flour. Knead dough in mixer or on a floured surface just until no longer sticky. Put in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and put on your pizza pan. Allow it to rest for a few minutes, then roll out. Let sit again for 10 minutes.
- Roll out on pizza pan. Cook at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
- Spread sauce over crust. Add pepperoni and sprinkle with grated cheese. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie