A Quick ‘One Pot Meal’ that your family will love: Chicken and Veggie Pasta!
Have you discovered one pot meals yet? Dump some ingredients all in one pot, let it cook together, and in the end you have a complete meal with minimal clean up! We love one pot meals here and this chicken and veggie pasta is a dish that keeps returning in our line up of favorite dinners.
With one pot meals, the possibilities are endless. We usually take a protein, a grain, and some veggies to make a huge variety of combinations and flavors. For this dinner idea, we used chicken, pasta, and broccoli. Although these are three foods that always go well together, we included some creamy, cheesy flavors as well as some sun dried tomatoes to really get my kids excited about it.
I’ve played around with the method and the ingredients and have found when the pasta cooks in chicken stock it lends the best flavor. The pasta’s starch helps thicken the sauce naturally. It’s creamy, but doesn’t have any cream! I made a healthy swap and used Greek yogurt, which gives us a similar creaminess, but is much lighter.
If you have a pasta-loving kid, this recipe is a great way to help them enjoy broccoli. I’ve found that if you have a food your child is reluctant to eat, it’s much easier to have him accept it if you pair it with a favorite food. In this case, creamy and cheesy pasta makes broccoli much more appealing than it normally is to an average kid!
Yes, this is a delicious dinner. But what really makes the one pot pasta recipe a winner is how quick and easy it is. Start to finish, you can have a complete dinner (that everyone loves!) ready in 30 minutes. You must try this!
For more one pot meals, check out:
- Chicken Pot Pie Skillet
- All in one instant pot chicken and brown rice
- One Pot Jambalya
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa
- One Pot Taco Casserole
Tangy Lemon Chicken Pasta
- For the marinade: In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, brown sugar, and seasonings. Whisk to combine.
- Cut the chicken into strips or bite-sized pieces. Put the chicken into a shallow bowl or ziplock bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or for up to 12 hours.
- For the pasta: Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, green onions, and parsley in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cook the pasta in lightly salted water according to package directions. Drain, and return the pasta to the pot. Pour the lemon juice/green onion mixture over the pasta and toss to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and the marinade to the skillet. Spread out into an even layer and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the chicken and cooked marinade over the pasta and toss everything together. Add the fresh parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie