Fresh green beans are topped with salty feta, crunchy almonds, and tossed in a bright lemon dressing in this fabulous salad. Served warm or chilled- it’s the perfect summer side dish. Simple, and downright delicious.
Why We Adore This Fresh Green Bean Salad:
This Green Bean Salad is fresh, tangy, full of texture and bursting with flavor. All you need is a handful of ingredients- yet they come together magically to create one of the tastiest side dishes I’ve ever made. We were just grabbing green beans straight out of the dish with our fingers.
Besides being incredibly simple, easy, and delicious.. it also tastes good served warm, room temperature, or chilled! It’s delicious served with grilled meats, and it would not be out of place on a holiday dinner table either. Trust me, this is not a recipe you want to pass on. It’s been on repeat since the first time I tried it. I can’t imagine a better way to enjoy those summer beans than this salad.
Ingredients you need for Green Bean Salad:
- Green Beans
- Sliced Almonds
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Fresh Green Bean Salad:
- Toast the almonds. Don’t skip this step! It adds so much toasty flavor to the dish. There are only a handful of ingredients in this recipe, and they all play an important role. Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat for a 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and aromatic. Watch closely so they don’t burn. Remove to a plate.
- Steam the green beans. To the same skillet, add the water and the green beans. Cover with a lid and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until the beans are crisp tender. We like ours with a bit of bite. If you want your beans more tender, you’ll want to go the full 10 minutes.
- Make the dressing. Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Assemble the salad. Transfer the beans to a serving dish. Pour the dressing over the beans and toss to coat. Top with the toasted almonds, feta cheese, and lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve the dish warm or chilled.
Tips & Suggestions:
Can I use frozen green beans instead of fresh green beans?
Although fresh green beans do taste best, frozen green beans work great too. Adjust cooking time as necessary.
How long does green bean salad last?
This salad will last 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. It’s just as delicious served cold!
- Try asparagus in place of the green beans.
- Use crumbled bleu cheese or goat cheese instead of feta.
- If you have a nut allergy, try adding another crunchy element like toasted bread crumbs or french fried onions.
- Add a drizzle of honey for a sweet element.
Looking for More Delicious Side Dish Recipes?
Fresh Green Bean Salad
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced almonds and stirring the entire time, cook them until they are a toasty golden brown color. This will take about 3-4 minutes. If they start to look too brown, turn down the heat. Once they are nice and toasted, remove the almonds to a plate to cool.
- In the same skillet add 1/4 cup water and heat on high until it begins to simmer. Reduce heat to medium and add the green beans to the skillet and cover with a lid. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, just until the green beans are crisp tender. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the juice of one lemon, grated garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Transfer green beans to a serving bowl, and pour dressing over the top. Add toasted almonds and feta cheese, toss to combine. Top with lemon zest and enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie