Every spring without fail I always plant too many zucchini plants. I swear I cut it back every year, but somehow I don’t?? Who knows – when spring rolls around I get a little bit garden crazy. This year I only planted 2 zucchini plants. I always think to myself that if we don’t eat it all, that I love sharing with my neighbors and so I need to plant enough to share. But all my neighbors always have plenty of zucchini! Anyway, this is why I am always looking for ways to use zucchini that aren’t the same old same old. The other day my mom and I made cheddar zucchini bread. It wasn’t that good and I was wishing we would have just made regular zucchini bread – yum. But I loved the idea of a savory, cheesy zucchini dish of some type. These zucchini crisps are honestly one of the best ways I have ever had zucchini. No one else was home when I made them and I literally ate almost the entire pan for lunch.
The first thing I did was make a ‘marinade’ of sorts. I whipped up some Italian dressing.
Slice your zucchini very thin. If you are good with a knife then go for it.
If your not so good with a knife, a mandolin is an awesome kitchen tool! It makes slicing super fast and also creates really even slices which is important if you want things to cook at the same speed. It took me about 30 seconds to slice a fairly large zucchini.
I combined my Italian dressing with an egg in one bowl. In another bowl I combined Panko with Parmesan cheese, basil, and oregano. Dip the zucchini in the dressing mixture, and then place in the crumb mixture and push the crumbs on so each piece is well coated.
Then place on a baking sheet covered in foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
They are crispy, crunchy, and full of flavor.
Dip them in your favorite marinara sauce. These would be great as an appetizer at a party, an after school snack, or even for lunch!
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/3 cup Italian dressing, low fat
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 none cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice zucchini into thin rounds.
- Combine Italian dressing and beaten egg in a wide bowl or dish.
- In another dish combine Panko, basil, oregano, and Parmesan cheese.
- Dredge the zucchini in the dressing and then the crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet covered in foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with marinara sauce if desired.