Incredibly moist and oh-so-chocolatey, these Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are sure to become everyone’s new favorite muffin! They are quick to whip up, lower in sugar, and loaded with zucchini.. perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Why You’re Going to Love these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins:
Easy, delicious, moist, chocolately, mildly sweet, packed with zucchini.. did I already mention the chocolate? These Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are everything I am looking for in a muffin. Seriously.. they were a HUGE hit at our house.
Have extra zucchini in your garden? Use it to make these muffins. Don’t have a garden? Go get zucchini to make these muffins. They aren’t overly sweet, but sweet enough to qualify as a sweet treat in my book. But not so much that you feel bad eating one (or two..) as an afternoon snack. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and bake up a batch today.
Ingredients You Need to Make Chocolate Zucchini Muffins:
- Zucchini– About 2 medium zucchini. Squeeze out extra moisture from the shredded zucchini before measuring.
- Flour– We used all-purpose flour, but you can also use white whole wheat, or a combination of both.
- Cocoa Powder– We used regular unsweetened cocoa powder. You can use dutch-processed also- you will end up with a more intense chocolate flavor.
- Baking Powder– Baking powder makes these muffins super light and fluffy.
- Salt– We used sea salt.
- Coconut Oil– You will get a subtle coconut flavor, which we love! But if you don’t like the flavor of coconut oil, you can use avocado oil.
- Brown Sugar– Adds moisture and just the right amount of sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract
- Eggs– For structure and lightness.
- Milk– We used regular 2% milk, but dairy-free alternatives work just fine.
- Chocolate Chips– Optional, but delicious! We used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Muffins:
- Stir together dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Shred the zucchini. Shred the zucchini. You can do a regular or fine grate. Put the shredded zucchini on a clean kitchen cloth or paper towel and squeeze out as much extra liquid as you can.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Combine everything. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients, along with the zucchini and chocolate chips. Stir just until combined.
- Bake. Add the batter to a greased or paper-lined muffin tin. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until the top of the muffin springs back when lightly touched.
Tips & Suggestions
Can you freeze shredded zucchini?
Yes! When I have lots of zucchini, I shred it all up, squeeze out extra moisture, and then freeze it in 2 cup measurements. No zucchini goes to waste, and it really speeds up these muffins! Frozen zucchini will last 8-10 months in the freezer; thaw before using.
Make these gluten-free by using an all-purpose gluten-free flour.
For dairy allergies, almond milk or other milk-alternatives can be used.
Avocado, vegetable, or other neutral flavored oils can be used instead of coconut oil.
Almond Joy Zucchini Muffins
For a delicious twist, add 1/2 cup shredded coconut and 1/2 cup chopped almonds before baking.
Storing Leftover Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Leftover muffins can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. You can also freeze extra muffins in a resealable freezer bag for 2-3 months.
More Delicious Zucchini Recipes:
- Zucchini Waffles
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Protein Bars
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- Baked Zucchini Casserole
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line your muffin tin with muffin papers, and spray the inside of the papers with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, Mix together until combined.
- Shred the zucchini and squeeze out as much extra liquid as you can with a clean dry cloth. Set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients, shredded zucchini, and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients, and stir just until everything is combined.
- Pour an even amount of batter into each muffin cup. bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes and enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie