I’m lazy by the time it’s time for dessert. But I have a sweet tooth and so do my darling little monsters that I feed every day at my well-worn table. That’s why I love instant ice cream. It’s creamy. It’s sweet. It’s fast. It is also a great way to get a serving of fruit into my little
I’ve made this treat a quadrillion times. Recently, we even created a rainbow of healthy ice cream with fruits and veggies. I’m not trying to brag. I just need you to understand that I’m a real authority on the subject of lazy desserts. Today I decided to indulge you with the secrets to a truly divine, instant ice cream.
- Secret 1: Don’t waste any time slicing the bananas before you freeze them. I cringe when I see bloggers instruct readers to slice and then freeze their bananas. I haven’t seen any benefits to this silly step – besides one more dish to wash. Simply break your frozen bananas in half as you put them into the food processor.
- Secret 2: Use a few add ins. Frozen fruit and nut/seed butters are fun to pair together. Frozen sweet cherries are one of my absolute summer favorites. My kids love peanut butter and chocolate paired together. Wait to put in your add-ins until your bananas are a little crumbly and aren’t quite creamy yet. (Check out the pic.)
- Secret 3: Serve immediately. Like, seriously soon, Mama! The bananas start to thaw as soon as you take them out of the freezer. The moment you’ve reached your creamy texture remove the blade and hand everyone a spoon. If you are more civilized than we are, freeze the scoops individually on a piece of parchment and serve when everyone is ready to nosh.
This version of instant ice cream is decadent and can be whipped together in moments from your stash of frozen bananas. Give my Instant Chocolate Almond Ice Cream Recipe a try for your next lazy dessert!
Alli blogs at Don’t Panic Mom where she trades panic for a fun, positive approach to family health. She’s living the dream with her four kids, hunky husband, and eight chickens in eastern Colorado.
Instant Chocolate Almond Ice Cream
- 4 medium banana
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoon almonds, sliced
- Break frozen bananas in half and place in bowl of food processor.
- Pulse for about a minute, or until the bananas have a crumbly texture.
- Add the almond butter and cocoa powder and replace the cover.
- Blend for another minute, or until the texture is uniformly smooth.
- Serve immediately with toasted almonds or freeze individual scoops on parchment paper until ready to serve.