Sweet, tangy and super creamy, this Poppy Seed dressing goes perfect with our berry salad for a side dish no one can resist!
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
It seems like salad is one of those foods kids have a hard time eating. Maybe because its lot of veggies all together in a big bowl. Maybe it’s because salad has been labeled as ‘one of those foods you have to eat before you have dessert’. Whatever the reason, we have found that having a yummy salad dressing with your salad makes it way more likely for kids to eat salad.
This Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing is a great way to introduce and help kids learn to love salad. It has just the right amount of tang, but is mostly sweet with appeals to both kids and adults! And there is compelling research that shows that parents eating and enjoying food has a bigger impact than most other ways of getting your kids to eat.
“One study, using sliced bell peppers, found that bribing, cajoling, exhorting, and even rewarding kids for trying new vegetables are less effective than simply eating them yourself. Just sit down and eat yourself, and talk about how good it tastes. It will have a much bigger impact than if you give them a lecture.” Lorraine Stern.
How to Make Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing and Berry Salad
Making homemade salad dressing is so easy! There really are only two steps:
- Whisk ingredients together in a medium size bowl. Transfer to a salad dressing pourer.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve salad. The longer you refrigerate, the most flavorful your dressing will be.
To make berry salad:
- Rinse and chop greens and add to a large salad bowl.
- Add berries on top in groups for a pretty display.
- Add feta cheese and pecans on top of berries.
- Serve with your poppy seed dressing and enjoy!
Commonly Asked Questions about Making Poppy Seed Dressing and Berry Salad
- Can I substitute mayonnaise for the Greek yogurt in the dressing? Yes! There will be a slight flavor difference because mayo is less tangy that Greek yogurt.
- What can I use instead of feta cheese in the salad? Because this is a sweet salad, I would recommend using a more milk tasting cheese. Goat cheese, ricotta or rinsed cottage cheese would work well.
- How far in advance can I make the salad dressing? The poppy seed dressing will stay good in your fridge for up to 5 days.
More of our Favorite Salad Dressing Recipes:
- Citrus Dressing This is a fruity vanilla dressing that goes great on any fruit salad!
- Orange Creamsicle Dressing This creamy dressing is great on fruit and veggies – our favorite next to ranch!
- Avocado Lime Dressing This dressing is creamy, tangy and goes great with Mexican dishes.
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing with Berry Salad
Poppy Seed Dressing
Poppy Seed Dressing
- Whisk ingredients together in a medium size bowl. Transfer to a salad dressing pourer and refrigerate until ready to serve your salad.
- Wash and chop greens in bite size pieces and add to a salad bowl. Top with berries, feta cheese, and pecans. Serving with poppy seed dressing.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie