- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 1/2 medium squash, summer
- 2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed, ground
- 3 ounces water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2/3 cup sugar, turbinado
- 2/3 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce pumpkin seed kernels
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds
- Use leftover sweet potato, or bake one the night before at 350 degrees for about 2 hours.Slice and microwave summer squash with 1 Tablespoon of water for about 6 minutes. Puree your squash once soft (you will want 1/2- 3/4 cups).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Stir together the beginning dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax and water, set aside.
- Then in a separate bowl, whisk together oil, apple sauce, sugar, almond milk and vanilla. Add pureed squash to the milk mixture.
- Mash sweet potato (should be approximately 1/2 cup), add to milk mixture, along with the flax and water mixture, whisk thoroughly.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to the dry; avoid over mixing.
- Spoon into muffin tin, 3/4 full. Sprinkle pumpkin and sunflower seeds over the top, bake 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 134mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g