This homemade master muffin mix recipe can make breakfast fast and easy, while still being healthy!
Muffins can be worse than donuts. I saw my kids eat an entire muffin, from a store that shall not be named, at a church campout last weekend. The muffin in question; 690 calories, 48 grams of sugar, and 32 grams of fat! And they had no trouble eating the entire thing! I have always loved muffins though, so I knew there could be a better way. Sometimes the best thing for a busy morning is pre-made muffins. But this is how we make them better. First, we start with our very own homemade muffin mix! This is easy. We used:
- 8 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup coconut oil (in the solid state)
Mix all the dry ingredients together, and then cut in the solid coconut oil as if it were shortening. Use a pastry blender to incorporate it well into the dry ingredients.
Store your mix at room temperature or below! Any warmer, and your coconut oil will become soft and liquid. If you live in a very warm climate, store your mix in the fridge.
I printed some Avery labels (because I’m no designer myself, and the labels are super easy!) for my jar.
After you have your mix, make your muffins! We simply use 2 1/3 cup of muffin mix with 1 egg and 1 cup of milk. Then, to flavor them, you can use two methods.
2) If you want a variety of muffins, simple top your muffins with your desired fruit or spices!
The flavor possibilities are endless. The ones I have pictured here, but also peach, almond poppyseed, cinnamon crumble, chocolate, and so many more! Be creative!
Below we’ve listed some ideas for you!
Cinnamon CranberryAdd 3/4 cup dried cranberries, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.
Spiced ApricotAdd 3/4 cup dried apricots, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Banana NutAdd 2 medium bananas, sliced, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
RaspberryAdd 1 cup raspberries.
Pumpkin Chocolate ChipAdd 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin) and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Apple PieAdd 1 medium apple, sliced thinly and chopped plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
Peanut ButterAdd 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter.
StrawberryAdd 1 cup sliced or chopped strawberries.
Toasted CoconutAdd 3/4 cup shredded coconut.
PlainDon’t add anything! Slice in half and make a sandwich!
Homemade Master Muffin Mix RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 12 standard cupcake liners
- 8 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 5 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cranberries, dried, sweetened
- Mix together dry ingredients. Use a pastry blender to cut in the solid coconut oil until well incorporated (same as you would with shortening).
- Store your mix at or below room temperature (any warmer and the coconut oil will become soft and liquid. If you live in a very warm climate, storing in the fridge is probably best). Makes about 10 cups of mix.
- When you are ready to make muffins:
- Preheat oven 400°F. Place liners into muffin pan.
- Mix 2 1/3 cup muffin mix together with 1 cup milk and 1 egg, slightly beaten.
- Add any mix-ins per this chart. (Note: what is included as “optional” in this recipe is what is called for in the current meal plan. For March 12th, your add ins are cranberries, nutmeg and cinnamon).
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, and bake for 20-22 minutes.