One of my all time favorite books is The World’s Healthiest Foods by George Mateljan. There is almost 900 pages of whole foods in every food category- fruits, veggies, grains, meats, beans, and herbs. Each food has 3-5 pages with descriptions of the food, storage ideas, the health benefits, and recipe ideas for each. Although I wouldn’t consider it a cookbook, I use it in cooking a lot!!
So, this Almond Apricot Candy Recipe came under the section for Apricots. My mom gave us a whole box of apricots, and I’m trying my hand at drying them in the sun. And while in the book, they are called “Almond Apricot Bars”, you will find they are so sweet, they are more likely candy!
Apricots are amazing
- are rich in beta carotene and beta cryptoxanthin (Precursors to Vitamin A)
- only have 17 calories per apricot!
- are high in Magnesium (especially DRIED apricots)!!
So, using dried apricots, we decided to make this candy. We start with chopping our apricots (1 cup worth). We’ve made these many times and sometimes I chop them with a knife, and they are just fine. But sometimes, I’ll use a food processor and make the apricots pieces smaller.
Then, follow the recipe below.
Stored in the fridge, this candy is great for taking on hikes, an after lunch treat, or even a mid-day shot of energy! Give them a try and let us know what your kids think!
Products Used in this post:
|Worlds Healthiest Food||Creamed Honey||Stainless Steel Box|
Almond Apricot Candy Recipe for Healthy Kids
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced almonds
- Mix liquids altogether in bowl with a spoon.
- Then stir in the solids (you may have to use your hand)
- Mix all ingredients. Chill in the fridge until it’s not so sticky, and easier to handle.
- Roll into balls.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie