Napkins are a must in our household with three small children. From wiping faces and hands, to spills, to having a place to set food, we use them constantly all day long. My family is well on our way to making the important switch from paper to cloth napkins. If you have ever thought about it, but are on the edge, keep reading because changing this one thing in your household can really change your world! To get you started, our favorite brand of cloth napkins, Funkins, has all of their cloth napkins on sale the entire month of April for Earth month – plus they are giving Super Healthy kids readers a special coupon. Scroll to the bottom of the post for the coupon code and where to buy!
Making the switch to cloth napkins literally will change your world because of the positive impact you can have on the environment – not to mention all of the other amazing things it does for you! On any given day, we probably go through 50 pieces of paper towel. That is a lot! Since we have started using our cloth napkins for daily use, we have cut that down to almost zero! These are the reasons we feel like making the switch to cloth napkins are most beneficial:
1. Saves You Money
- An average roll of paper towel costs about $1.33 per roll for 117 sheets making them about 1 cent per paper towel. (this isn’t counting crazy deals – just your average price from the regular store) With my family’s usage, that is about 50 cents per day. It would only take me about one week to make up the cost of a cloth napkin.
- Cloth napkins are a one time expense up front.
- Replaces napkins and paper towels, and sometimes even wet wipes! More money saved!
- High quality cloth napkins can literally last you for years.
- Reduce landfill waste
- Cuts down on paper use and saves trees
- Decreases CO2 emissions
3. SO many other great reasons
- Cloth absorbs a lot more liquid than paper
- Uses less storage space (paper towel is really bulky)
- Cloth is much better quality – can clean up a spill with one napkin where you would have to use 3 paper towels or paper napkins
- Fun to use! Makes even a simple meal feel a little more special and fancy
- Feels better on your skin. Paper towels and napkins can feel so scratchy not soft! Cloth (especially 100% cotton) is soft and smooth to the touch.\
Why we Love Funkins Brand
- They are big. Each napkin is 13″x15″ making them really versatile and useful.
- They are made from 100% cotton fabric and use low impact dyes, and are also lead and phthalate free.
- Bright, fun patterns that kids connect to and love – makes kids want to use them.
- Double-sided patterns so you can use both sides making the use of each napkin longer.
- High quality, very durable, wash well and last for years.
- Helps teach kids to be aware and respectful of our earth by reusing instead of just throwing things away.
Tips for Getting Started
- Buy each child 3-4 of their very own napkins that only they use. When meal time comes, they will know exactly which napkin to use. My kids like setting the table with their ‘special’ napkin.
- You can usually get a few uses out of each napkin so you don’t have to wash them more than every other day or longer. We wash them with our other laundry so I don’t feel like I’m doing special loads.
- Keep them in a place that they are accessible. If they are hard to get to, you might keep reaching for paper towel.
5 Ways We use Funkins Cloth Napkins
Placemat. I love using them as a placemat because it catches drips and spills. If my kids spill their water, it collects most of it right away and it isn’t dripping down on the floor everywhere or spreading to other parts of the table. Plus it makes our meal time seem a little more special than just having paper towel under their plates.
Lunchbox. If you send a lunch with your kids, not only is it a great alternative to paper, but it adds a fun personalized touch to their lunch. Funkins even has holiday patterns for those times when you want to make their lunch extra special!
Napkin. Having a fun patterned napkin next to my kids’ plates really helps them remember to wipe their hands and mouths on the napkin instead of their clothes.
On-The-Go. This may be one of my favorite ways to use these. I feel like whenever we are out and about, I am always needing a cloth. I just keep a few in my diaper bag to have whenever I need them.
- Because they are so much more durable than paper, they wipe up spills way better!
- If I need to clean sticky hands or faces I just pour a little water on them and then I have a wash cloth.
- Sometimes I will put them down on a table if we are eating in a public place and I want a barrier.
- You can use these as a burp cloth for baby!
Picnics or Outdoor Eating. These cloth napkins can act as sort of a portable table. Because they are good size, you can lay them out and put your kids food right on the napkin. They won’t disintegrate like a paper napkin would, and will hold up even if the grass is a little damp.
If you are ready to make the switch, now is the time to do it! Funkins cloth napkins are 25% off during the month of April PLUS you can use the coupon code SHKEarthDay to get an additional $ off each napkin. To buy, visit their website www.myfunkins.com and enter your discount code at checkout. The 25% is already taken off for you. The coupon code is good through April 30, 2015 – so hurry and stock up!!