Healthy Chicken Salad lightened up and packed with flavor- in just 15 minutes for lunch at home or away!
How to Pack Healthy Chicken Salad for Lunch
- Because chicken salad is more on the wet side, you will want to keep the filling separate when you are packing it. Make sure you find a leak-proof container to store the chicken salad mixture in.
- If you pack lettuce to eat with your chicken salad, pack it with paper towel to absorb the moisture and keep your lettuce crisp.
- Pack your grains in an airtight container so that it doesn’t get dried out. Nothing like pulling stale bread or a crusty tortilla out of your lunch
- Box right before you want to eat.
What To Put In A Chicken Salad
A typical chicken salad includes: chicken, halved grapes, sliced almonds, chopped celery, onion, mayonnaise, sometimes mustard, and a few shakes of salt and pepper to finish. It is deliciously amazing just like this. We wanted to lighten this sandwich up a bit, and so in place of half of the mayo, we used Greek yogurt. We also add fresh lemon juice (YUM!) and a few more herbs.
There are so many different recipes for chicken salad. A few others we have seen are Mediterranean, Chinese, California, BBQ, Waldorf, Pesto and Curry chicken salads. You can see these fun twists on the classic chicken salad here.
Best Chicken for Healthy Chicken Salad
Chicken salad has to start with the chicken of course! But what kind is the best? We have tried chicken breasts, chicken thighs, and shredded chicken cooked from the crockpot. But our very favorite to use in chicken salad is rotisserie chicken. It is so moist and flavorful and really gives your entire salad the perfect flavor and texture. PLUS – it is already cooked and so it saves you tons of time when you are putting together your salad.
Other Favorite Sandwiches
Healthy Chicken Salad
- 3 cup rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup grapes, red
- 2 stalk celery
- 2 stalk green onion
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain, low-fat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, light
- 1 tablespoon parsley, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed, dried
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon mustard, dijon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 6 medium tortilla, whole wheat
- 2 cup lettuce, romaine
- Shred chicken and place into a mixing bowl. Slice grapes into quarters; dice celery and green onions. Add to chicken.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, dill, juice of the lemon, mustard, salt and pepper. Add to the chicken along with the almonds. Toss to evenly coat.
- Spread chicken salad onto tortillas, top with lettuce, roll tightly and slice in half.