With 5 grams of protein in 2 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt, this Frozen Yogurt Kiwi Pops Recipe is a great source of nutrition for kids!
Hello! My name is Ciara and I am very excited to be joining the Super Healthy Kids team as a contributor. I’m an Irish girl living in the UK with my husband and two young children and I’m looking forward to getting to know all you lovely SHK fans. I blog over at My Fussy Eater where I share my recipes, hints and tips for feeding picky eaters young and old!
Every month I will be sharing some of my favourite kids recipes with you and this month it is these delicious and healthy Frozen Yogurt Kiwi Pops.
The haze of Winter has finally lifted here in the UK and I have to say that I am so ready for summer now. Bring on the sun! I don’t know about you, but somehow I find it a lot easier to think of new and healthy snacks to feed my children in summer. I guess we all crave warm comforting foods when it’s cold outside. Come summer it’s all about cool and refreshing. And there’s nothing more cooling or refreshing than popsicles.
I love home-made popsicles for so many reasons. They are so easy to make and usually lots cheaper than buying them from the store. Also, I know exactly what has gone into them and I can use them as another way to sneak in an extra portion of fruit into my children’s diet.
For these Frozen Yogurt Kiwi Pops you can use pretty much any popsicle mold. I love reusing these small fromage frais pots as they make the perfect sized popsicle for my young kids. They are obviously free too; no fancy popsicle machines needed!
I always use greek yogurt. It has a higher protein content than plain yogurt which will help to keep your kids full up for longer. And although I used kiwi in this recipe you could replace it with pretty much any blended fruit.
The chocolate drizzle is also optional. I do find that even a tiny amount of chocolate can get kids a lot more excited about a snack.
Frozen Yogurt Kiwi Pops
- 3 medium kiwi
- 1 8 oz container Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, semisweet
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Peel the kiwi fruit, place in a blender and blitz until smooth. If you are struggling to blend it add a couple of teaspoons of water to get it going.
- Add roughly 1/2 tablespoon of the blended kiwi fruit to the bottom of 6 small yogurt pots (or Popsicle molds) and place them flat in the freezer for one hour.
- Meanwhile, mix the Greek yogurt, honey / maple syrup and vanilla extract together. After an hour, remove the Popsicles from the freezer and add roughly 2 tablespoons of the yogurt mixture to each, leaving some space at the top for the final kiwi layer. Tap the pots or molds down on a hard surface to remove any air pockets. Press a Popsicle stick into each. The first kiwi layer should be firm enough to now hold the stick in place. Return to the freezer for another hour.
- Add the final layer of blended kiwi to the Popsicle and freeze for a couple of hours or overnight. Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a saucepan or the microwave (be careful not to let it burn) and drizzle onto the popsicles. The frozen popsicles will make the chocolate shell harden immediately.
- Serve straight away or keep in an airtight bag or container in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.