While I know this will make me sound like the worst babysitter in the world, I have a three year old neighbor I offer to babysit once in awhile who loves to get into trouble! Once, I turned my back for a few minutes, and she walked out of my bathroom, gripping the razor from my bathtub in her tiny little hands! And, she refused to let go when I was trying to gently pry it from her hands. Needless to say, I never turn my back on that child anymore. She is always in my peripheral vision when I am babysitting. Last night, I offered to babysit again, along with her 1 year old sister, whom I love to hold the entire time. My kids are older now, so it’s fun for me to have babies over at my house. On the nights when I’m watching these girls, I know I’m not going to be able to spend much time over a hot stove holding that baby, like last night. So, I did what I did many nights when my kids were that age… I pulled out my crockpot!
Between dry beans, shredded meats, and soups, I use a Crock-pot (slow cooker) at least once a week, sometimes twice! My poor Crock-pot is getting old and dingy, and never looks clean, but it works like a charm. So, just before they came over, I put this dinner in my slow cooker: Chicken Tacos-
Crockpot Chicken Taco Recipe
It was simple, and required no preparation. I put into the slow cooker on low:
- Chicken thighs
- Homemade taco seasoning (recipe below)
- and homemade salsa
Cooking chicken in a slow cooker, with nothing more than seasoning and salsa, goes really fast. Even if you are cooking on your lowest setting, my chicken was ready and ready to shred within 3 hours.
And did the kids eat it? My kids as well as the neighbor girls I was babysitting, each had 3 little tacos! They loved them, and kept coming back for more!
But the best thing about tacos, is adding veggies! We keep it simple and add:
- and cheese of course.
This meal is almost so simple, I’ve hesitated to post it, however, making your own homemade taco seasoning…. definitely worth some blog space!
Did you know we have an entire category for crockpot meals?
- 1 tablespoon onions, dehydrated flakes
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper/chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pound chicken thigh, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 ounce cheddar cheese
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 medium tomato, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 2 cup shredded lettuce
- 8 medium tortilla, whole wheat
- 2 cup strawberries
- Make the taco seasoning by mixing together the dried minced onions, chili powder, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, cumin, salt and cornstarch.
- Add chicken thighs, one tablespoon of the taco seasoning and salsa to a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked through, shred chicken in the crockpot and mix well.
- Grate the cheese; dice the avocado, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
- Add chicken to tortillas, then add toppings as desired. Serve with strawberries on the side.