Best Ever Taco Soup
Taco Soup is a fantastic, filling, and always popular dinner recipe! Our version is packed with flavor, full of protein, and can be on the table in 30 minutes.
Why You’ll Love This Taco Soup Recipe
Taco Soup is always a hit at our house- with my family, and with guests! It is simple, unassuming, but so packed with flavor! We make it at least once a month. What makes this recipe the best ever?
- It’s a one pot meal! So easy, and minimal clean up.
- It’s made with freezer and pantry staples that I always have on hand.
- It can be on the table in 30 minutes- perfect for busy weeknights!
- Leftovers are delicious- and it freezes great, too!
- The combination of seasonings make it so unbelievably flavorful!
- It is nutritious and full of protein.
- It’s customizable
- Everyone will want to be your best friend after trying it.
Taco Soup Ingredients:
- onion– we use sweet yellow onions, but you can easily substitute red or white
- garlic– I always use a hearty spoonful of minced garlic, but you can use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder in a pinch
- ground beef– I like using super lean ground beef in my soup. If using ground beef with a higher fat content, make sure you drain the grease before adding the rest of the ingredients. Ground turkey works great too!
- diced tomatoes– my kids actually prefer petite diced tomatoes, but you can use whichever you prefer.
- chicken broth– I like keeping bouillon paste on hand for recipes like this!
- tomato paste– makes it thick and flavorful
- chili powder– this won’t add heat, but does add a lot of yummy flavor!
- ranch dressing seasoning packet– this really is the secret to making this taco soup so yummy. Here is a homemade recipe that makes a great substitution.
- corn– I always have frozen corn on hand, but you can use canned corn also.
- pinto beans– black beans are good here too!
What to Serve with Taco Soup:
- shredded cheese– we use Mexican shredded cheese blend, but cotija or queso fresco are really delicious also!
- avocado– I love the creamy texture that diced avocado brings to this soup. Sometimes I top it with a scoop of guacamole!
- fresh diced tomatoes– yes, there are diced tomatoes in the soup. But I love the freshness that it brings!
- tortilla strips– a lot of the time I will just serve this Taco Soup with tortilla chips on the side for dipping!
- sour cream– plain Greek yogurt works great.
- lime slices– lime juice cuts through the richness and is absolutely necessary in my opinion!
How to Make Taco Soup:
- Dice– Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Brown– cook the ground beef, onion and garlic over medium high heat until the meat is cooked through and the onions are softened.
- Dump– add the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer– bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat to let the flavors combine.
- Top– set out all of the toppings. This is our favorite part! My kids love being in charge of adding their own toppings to their bowl of taco soup.
That’s it! Simple, satisfying, and oh so delicious. Taco Soup will last 3-5 days when stored in the fridge in an airtight container. It also freezes great too! Freeze in individual or large storage containers for 4-6 months. Often I will double the recipe so I can plan on having leftovers in the future. Perfect for busy weeknights or lunches!
More Soup Recipes to Try:
- 15 Bean Soup
- Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
Best Ever Taco Soup
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 14 ounce chicken broth, low-sodium
- 6 ounce tomato paste, canned
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Ranch Dressing Seasoning Packet
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 15 ounce pinto beans, canned
- 4 ounce cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 4 ounce tortilla chips
- 1 small lime sliced
- Finely dice onion and mince garlic. Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add ground beef, onion and garlic; cook, stirring to crumble, until browned.
- Add tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Stir to combine; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn and drained and rinsed beans. Heat through. Top each serving with grated cheese and diced avocado.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
You had me unil ranch dressing seasoning packet. Do you have a suggestion for a good replacement?
Yes! We use this recipe for seasoning: https://www.superhealthykids.com/diy-homemade-spice-blends/