This is the best Bran Muffin recipe we have! You’ll want to bookmark it and come back again and again!
Sometimes getting young kids to sit still and eat a meal is harder than trying to convince my husband that I really do need another pair of shoes! Sometimes I breakdown and let my kids roam with their breakfast so that they will eat something. A lot of times, kids can’t eat a lot of food at once. They have little tummies and get full after not eating much. Small portions of food packed with nutrients are the answer. This recipe is the Best Bran Muffin Recipe for kids hands down! They are full of nutrients for your busy kids plus they taste amazing.
What is bran?
Bran is the outer portion of a grain. It’s rich in fiber, vitamins, and even omega fats! Generally, when grains are processed, the bran is removed, leaving the grain void of many of the nutrients inherit in that food. But, we can actually grind up the part that is removed, and use it in baking!
What to serve muffins with?
Serve these bran muffins with fruit and milk or yogurt for a complete breakfast. They are also great as snacks. This recipe makes a lot and so I always freeze them. Pop one in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and you have a warm and delicious little muffin that tastes as fresh as the day you made it. They freeze really well. Just store them in an airtight container.
These muffins are packed with fiber and for some kids, constipation can be a real problem. You can make the recipe as is, or sometimes we like to add other things to mix it up. Some of our favorites have been: dried apples, freeze dried mangos, dried apricots, and blueberries. So yummy and it is fun for the kids to choose what goes in them. You can do some with one add-in and some with another to please everyone’s preferences!
If you don’t want to make all the muffins at once, you can leave it in your fridge for up to 2 weeks and make fresh bran muffins everyday in a just a few minutes!
Best Bran MuffinsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup All-Bran cereal
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup All-Bran cereal
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Mix boiling water and 2 cups All Bran cereal together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together butter, sugar, applesauce and eggs.
- Add buttermilk.
- Then add baking soda, flours, and salt.
- Add the All Bran and water mixture.
- Lastly, add 1 cup of dry All Bran cereal. Mix until blended.
- Grease a mini-muffin or regular muffin tin.
- Fill each tin 3/4 of the way full of batter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for mini muffins and 13-15 minutes for regular size muffins or until the muffins bounce back.