Homemade pizza dough is the best thing to make on a Friday night! This pizza dough recipe only has a few ingredients and is easy enough for your kids to make!
How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough
- First get your yeast going- it should look nice and bubbly after about 5-10 minutes.
- Mix your oil, salt, and flour in with the yeast mixture. I let mine knead with a dough hook in my KitchenAid for about 5 minutes. If you don’t have a mixer, knead your dough on your counter with a little flour until the dough isn’t sticky.
- Place it in an oiled bowl and cover. Put it in a warm place to let it rise.
- Let it rise for about an hour or until double in size.
- Punch it down and set it on your pizza stone or pizza pan. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- If you are just making one pizza, you can roll your dough out right on your pan. Roll your dough very thin. It will puff up a lot during baking, so if you don’t want a 4-inch thick crust, then roll it thin!
- Place on a stone or pan and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes (just the dough). Then add your toppings and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust has started to brown.
What are the Ingredients in Homemade Pizza Dough
5 Tips for Making the Best Pizza Dough at Home
- Heat a pizza stone in the oven before you put your dough on it.
- Roll your dough as thin as you can possibly get it. It will rise a lot and become too thick and bread-like if you don’t roll it thin (especially when using whole wheat flour).
- Use a dough docker (or a fork) to prevent your dough from bubbling. This also helps your dough to rise evenly.
- Make sure your don’t skip pre-baking your dough before you put the toppings on.
- Brush the edges of the crust with a little olive oil before baking with the toppings.
Our Favorite Homemade Pizza Toppings
There is something about a classic pepperoni pizza, but if you make pizza every Friday night then it is fun to switch it up! These are some of our favorite pizza topping combos:
- Chicken Pesto: Grilled chicken + Pesto Sauce + Mozzarella
- Margherita: Plum Tomatoes + Fresh Mozzarella + Basil Leaves
- Fall Veggie Pizza: Sweet Peppers + Carmelized Onions + Oven Dried Tomatoes + Pesto + Mozzarella
- Hawaiian Pizza: Natural Ham + Pineapple Chunks + Mozzarella
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: Shredded BBQ Chicken + Sautéed Red Onion + Mozzarella Cheese + Cheddar Cheese + BBQ Sauce/Ranch Sauce
- Classic Veggie: Tomatoes + Sweet Peppers + Mushrooms + Pineapple + Onions + Olives
Favorite Homemade Pizza Recipes
- Kale and Chicken Sausage Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Greek Pizza
- Tex Mex Pizza
- Pump It Up Pizza
- Thai Pizza
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast, active dry
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 3/4 cup flour, whole wheat
- 2 cup pizza sauce
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounce pepperoni
- Add yeast, sugar, and water to a large mixing bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt, oil and flour. Knead dough in mixer or on a floured surface just until no longer sticky. Put in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and put on your pizza pan. Allow it to rest for a few minutes, then roll out. Let sit again for 10 minutes.
- Roll out on pizza pan. Cook at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
- Spread sauce over crust. Add pepperoni and sprinkle with grated cheese. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.