This High fiber side dish, tastes like dessert! Try Apple Cinnamon Waldorf Salad tonight!
With apples, pears, celery, grapes, almonds, and dried cranberries, the fiber in this salad is exploding! With apples in high season around here, we are adding them to everything. Whether it’s snacks, breakfasts, or side dishes, apples are great to include in your family’s diet. Apples are:
- A great source of fiber! Fiber not only helps to keep kids full till the next meal, but also helps them to stay regular.
- While apples are a good source of sugar, it actually regulates blood sugar, rather than creating spikes and drops. The polyphenols in the apples have been shown to do this.
- Consuming apples actually improves the bacteria in the gut. This provides a metabolic change in the intestines, leading to more health benefits! (I love this as bacteria has been shown to be a significant influence on health! (source)
When I have extra apples, I’ll make this salad during my meal prep, and generally, we snack out of it for the next few days. The longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes. The other great thing about this salad, is that it’s perfect for a potluck! I’m very picky about what foods I’ll bring when friends are involved. I am desperate to have something that most importantly tastes great, but secondly, is also healthy! I’ve been on a mission to prove healthy food can appeal to everyone. This salad is that dish! Not only does my family and my kids love it, but friends also love it too! Seriously, it’s the type of dish that your friends will ask for the recipe- PROMISE!!
So, without further ado, get your apples, pears, celery, grapes, and any other fruit you want to add. Mix it with this sweet dressing, and you have a winning combination!
- 3 medium apple
- 1 medium pear
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 cup cranberries, dried
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, light
- Chop apples, pear, and dice celery.
- Slice grapes in half.
- Combine apples, pear, celery, grapes, almonds, dried cranberries in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dressing. Yogurt, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and mayo. Pour over salad. Chill until ready to eat.