Creamy, rich, and chocolatey, this just-sweet-enough Chocolate Hummus makes an excitingly different dip for fresh fruit or warm pitas.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Why We Love Chocolate Hummus
Last week, my son turned to me, out of the blue, and asked, “Can we have chocolate hummus again?”
The last time we made the fudgy, delicious dip we’d shared it with a platter of whole grain crackers and cut fruit, and my toddler had managed to cover her entire face with the chocolatey goodness.
Not only was was it delicious, our healthy chocolate hummus was chock full of super nutritious ingredients like chickpeas, peanut butter, and antioxidant-rich cocoa powder.
“Yes!” I said to my son, in answer to his request. Completely, totally, yes. “Let’s make chocolate hummus again.”
Is Chocolate Hummus Healthy?
Chickpeas, the main ingredient in Healthy Chocolate Hummus, are a super-healthy food! Chickpeas have been shown to improve blood sugar control, cholesterol, and digestion. They’re rich in fiber and protein that helps you to feel full, and have balanced energy.
My favorite thing about beans is that they’re tied to a longer life!
Beans are amazing. I just love them and I’ll eat them in everything. But if your kids (or you) don’t love them, Chocolate Hummus is a perfect starter recipe.
And it’s easy and fun to make! Read on to learn how.
How to Make Chocolate Hummus
Making Healthy Chocolate Hummus is as simple as blending the ingredients in a food processor.
- Make sure you’re using no-salt-added beans. Most canned beans contain a LOT of salt, and you can sort of imagine how that would taste in a velvety chocolate dip! So you’ve got two options: look for no-salt-added canned beans, or cook your own chickpeas from scratch. I usually go the scratch route, soaking and cooking a whole pound of dried chickpeas in my Instant Pot at once. They only take a few minutes to cook, and as a bonus, I’ve got extra chickpeas to throw into a curry or a salad. Sweet!
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor along with the cocoa powder, peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and milk.
- Let your kids push the button and watch these simple ingredients transform into a rich and creamy chocolate dip! Make sure you give it enough time to get good and smooth- this can take a few minutes! If your hummus is still a little thick, add more milk, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
What to eat with Chocolate Hummus
We’ve paired Healthy Chocolate Hummus with all kinds of fruits. Strawberries, apples, mandarin oranges, bananas, raspberries, and pears are all delicious! We also like it with crackers and pitas.
Our favorites are strawberries and apple slices. What are yours?
More Healthy Chocolate Recipes:
- Chocolate Sunbutter
- Thick and Creamy Chocolate Mousse
- Chocolate Chia Cookies
- Double Chocolate Banana Cake
- Homemade Chocolate Milk
Healthy Chocolate Hummus
- Add all ingredients into the bowl of a large food processor, and puree until very smooth. Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time (if necessary) to reach desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh fruit, crackers, or pita chips.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie