Waldorf Salad Recipe
Crisp apples, crunchy celery and toasted nuts drizzled with a tangy sweet dressing make this Waldorf Salad Recipe a refreshing and delicious fruit side dish.
What is Waldorf Salad?
The Waldorf Salad is a simple salad made with produce that is readily available year-round. It was originally created over 100 years ago for a charity event held by the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. Over the years it has evolved to include grapes and nuts. Some versions include chicken, dried fruit, and seasoned mayo or yogurt dressings. Basically, this recipe is super adaptable and has definitely withstood the test of time.
What is in Waldorf Salad Recipe:
- apples– we used honeycrisp apples. We’ve found that sweet, somewhat tart, super crisp apples work best. Sometimes I like to mix and match apples for extra flavor!
- grapes– red grapes add a really pretty pop of color, but again, green would work just as well!
- celery– celery is mild and adds a great crunchy bite to the salad.
- dried cranberries– raisins or other dried fruit can be used here, but cranberries are our favorite!
- walnuts– we love walnuts, but you can substitute pecans or almonds. Or leave them out entirely if you wish!
- greek yogurt– we swapped out the traditional mayonnaise with plain Greek yogurt.
- honey– we love the flavor of honey in this salad, but maple syrup or agave would make good substitutes.
- brown sugar– adds a caramel-y sweetness
- cinnamon– the warm flavor of cinnamon really takes this salad up a notch!
When I have extra apples, I’ll make this salad during my meal prep, and generally, we snack out of it for the next few days. The longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes! This Waldorf Salad Recipe is popular with my kids, friends, and extended family thanks to the universally popular ingredients. It is so much more than the sum of its parts. It is such a simple, healthy, and refreshing treat!
How to Make Waldorf Salad
- Chop– cut the apples, celery and grapes into bite sized pieces. You might want to toss your diced apples with lemon juice before adding to the salad to help prevent browning.
- Toast– toasting your nuts before adding them to your salad really brings out a rich, nutty flavor.
- Add– add the apples, grapes, celery, walnuts and dried cranberries to a large serving bowl.
- Whisk– in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Toss– drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Chill– chill until ready to serve. The flavors will improve as it has time to sit, but you can also serve this salad immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditionally, Waldorf Salad was served on a bed of lettuce. Sometimes I’ll add chicken and serve it this way as a light lunch. It’s great for company! Often, we’ll just enjoy it as a snack because it stores so well in the refrigerator. But it makes a great side salad alongside dinner too! It also makes a great addition to holiday dinners or potluck parties.
It will last up to 5 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
Yes! I think it’s best when made a day in advance, but I wouldn’t recommend any longer than 3 days.
More Delicious Salad Recipes to Try:
- Broccoli Salad
- Strawberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- Christmas Fruit Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad
- Berry Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
Waldorf Salad Recipe
- 3 medium apple
- 2 stalk celery
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 cup cranberries, dried
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dice apples and slice celery. Cut grapes in half.
- Combine apples, celery, grapes, walnuts, and dried cranberries in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, honey, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour over salad. Chill until ready to eat. Enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Love Waldorf Salad so refreshing
The combination of the ingredients looks great, love it!