Good morning! As I mentioned, we got a box of tree ripened peaches from my mom yesterday, and they really do need to be eaten in the next few days. So, we put together a peach smoothie for breakfast that the kids really enjoyed. We used:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or soy milk
- 3 peaches
- 1 banana (to really make it creamy)
- 1 tablespoon of flax meal
Blend in a blender until smooth.
Back to the Flax Meal!! We add flax meal to most of our smoothies. It blends well with the other fruits and veggies, it does’t have a taste to it, and it adds essential nutrients your kids might otherwise not get!
Flax meal is the ground version of flax seeds. We like it this way, because often, a whole seed will go undigested. It’s so tiny that it can pass right through. But busting open that membrane shell to crush it up into meal is more easily absorbed.
We love flax because:
- Keeps kids regular (in the digestive sense)
- The Omega-3 supports brain development, making kids smart.
- Great source of fiber (kids need 5 grams per day, plus age.. so, a 5 year old needs 10 grams of fiber per day)
The Omega 3 has anti inflammatory properties!
The omega 3 can help kids who suffer from dry eyes.
Fiber and omega three are the best reasons to include flax seeds in your families diet. Try it in this smoothie today.