Comfort food for fall, Veggie-Packed Chicken Teriyaki Noodle Bowls the kids and you will be obsessed with. They’re stuffed with broccoli, carrots, cabbage, bell peppers and snow peas!
Fall is right around the corner and I’m getting all sorts of cozy feelings! So bring on the bowls full of soup, pasta and this amazing Veggie-Packed Chicken Teriyaki Noodle Bowl! I was shocked at how easy and fast it was to make and it reheats perfectly too! This is a winner meal for kids and adults.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How to Get my Kids to Eat This:
Make it with them in mind! All these veggies can be swapped in and out, so don’t include cabbage or broccoli if you know they won’t touch it. Use extra snow peas or red orange and green peppers! The honey in the teriyaki sauce keeps it fairly sweet, so dinner with this on the table shouldn’t be a fight at all! Plus, these pillowly soft udon noodles are perfect for kids! They soak up the sweet sauce and they’re easy to eat with a fork. If you chop up the veggies even smaller it will be easier for them to eat, instead of finding a huge piece of broccoli in their bowl that they might just avoid.
I made this for my husband and he’s in love! We packed up the leftovers for him to take to campus and we’ve already talked about making it with beef or shrimp next time! I love making dinner and hearing how he can’t wait to eat the leftovers the next day! That’s how you know you found a winner recipe.
I made these noodle bowls with udon noodles but you can use Yaki Soba noodles or even ramen if you’re in a pinch. Use whatever you have at your grocery store! But you might be surprised, my local WinCo had these amazing udon noodles in their refrigerated section and they were super inexpensive too–score!
Why is it Healthy?
This teriyaki bowl is packed with vegetables! The sauce uses honey to sweeten it and a little sauce goes a long way. If you’re looking for a way to get your kids to eat more veggies, this is it! Most noodle bowls are more than half noodles, but because of all the amazing veggies in this version your kids will be filling up their tummies on mostly broccoli, peppers, cabbage, carrots and snow peas!
If you’re looking for another fun teriyaki bowl, try our Tiny Teriyaki Meatball Bowls! They’re adorable and if your kids loved this recipe for Veggie-Packed Chicken Teriyaki Noodle Bowls they’ll love the meatball bowl!
Veggie Packed Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
- 15 ounces Udon Noodles
- 1 cup broccoli, florets
- 2 medium carrot
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/4 medium cabbage
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, fresh
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound chicken thigh, boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Boil a pot of about 5 cups of water and add your refrigerated soba or udon noodles to the water. It will take only 2 minutes for the noodles to separate, then drain and set aside.
- Chop the broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, peas, and cabbage into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger.
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water and whisk until smooth. Add to the saucepan and stir to combine. Cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, then remove from heat.
- Chop up chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces. Add to a large pan over medium heat with olive oil. Let the chicken brown for a couple of minutes on each side and then add veggies (cover the pot if you want to help the veggies steam to cook).
- Let cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then add the sauce and the noodles. Toss to combine. Let cook for 2 minutes and then serve!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie