This delicious coleslaw gets its bright and tangy flavor from a simple, homemade lemon vinaigrette. And with the addition of extra vegetables, it makes the perfect summer side dish!
Why We Love This Crisp & Refreshing Coleslaw Recipe
If you are looking for a light and refreshing side dish, you’ve come to the right place. This Sunshine Coleslaw is made with crispy vegetables and coated in a tangy lemon vinaigrette. Instead of vinegar, this recipe calls for lemon juice, which gives it a nice bright flavor. It’s absolutely delicious, and the perfect addition to your summer meals. However, this simple salad is made with pantry staples and fresh ingredients that are readily available all year long.. so it’s one that I turn to all year long!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make This Coleslaw:
- Cabbage– I use a mix of green and purple cabbage, but any combination will do.
- Green Onions
- Lemon– Use fresh lemon juice! You’ll get a much better flavor.
- Avocado Oil– You can also use olive oil.
- Honey– You can also use sugar or maple syrup if desired.
- Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
How to Make Sunshine Coleslaw with Lemon Vinaigrette:
- Shred the cabbage. Using a mandolin, slicer attachment on a food processor, or sharp knife- cut the cabbage into thin slices.
- Prep the veggies. Shred the carrots, slice the green onion, and quarter and thinly slice the cucumber. Put them in a large bowl with the shredded cabbage.
- Make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, add the lemon vinaigrette ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Toss the coleslaw. Drizzle over the vegetables and toss to combine.
- Chill. Put in the refrigerator to chill for up to 2 hours before serving for the best flavor and texture.
Tips & Suggestions
I prefer shredding my own cabbage when I make coleslaw, but feel free to use a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix.
Allowing the coleslaw to chill for a bit before serving allows the flavors to meld and the cabbage to tenderize a bit. Although it is best eaten the day it is made, leftover coleslaw should last 2-3 days in the fridge.
This recipe is super adaptable! The dressing is also delicious on spinach. You can play around with the veggies too. Try adding radishes, sugar snap or snow peas, thinly sliced apples, or jicama.
Looking for More Delicious Salad Recipes?
- Smoky Almond & Cranberry Coleslaw
- Favorite Spinach Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad
- Super Food Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Sunshine Coleslaw with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Chop both red and green cabbage into thin bite size slices. Add to a large bowl.
- Shred carrots, chop green onion and quarter and thinly slice the cucumber. Add to the bowl.
- To make the vinaigrette, in a medium size bowl add lemon juice and zest, oil, honey, grated garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour over the cabbage mixture and stir to combine.
- For best flavor, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. You can refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving for best flavor and texture. The veggies will start to break down and become a bit watery after 2 hours in the fridge.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie