Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with the Gooiest Grilled Cheese Sandwich, featuring a melty blend of cheeses sandwiched between two perfectly toasted slices of bread.
The Cheesiest, Gooiest, Toastiest Grilled Cheese Sandwich
There aren’t many foods out there that are quite as satisfying and simple as the classic grilled cheese sandwich. Melty, gooey cheese sandwiched between two crispy, golden, buttery slices of bread. It’s nostalgic and delicious. And it’s also a popular dinner option for busy parents!
It’s a meal I turn to often myself! And though it is incredibly simple, it’s also pretty easy to get it wrong (dry, burnt bread, cold cheese… we’ve all been there). But don’t worry! I’m here to show you how to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. And once you’ve learned the technique, you’ll have an easy, economical, and fast dinner that your kids (and the adults) will actually be excited for. And it doesn’t come from a box, or a fast food restaurant. How’s that for a parenting win?
Ingredients You Need to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Bread– We like to use thick sliced white bread.
- Cheddar Cheese– We use medium cheddar cheese.
- Havarti Cheese
- Butter– You can use salted or unsalted.
- Olive Oil– Avocado oil also works great.
How to Make The Gooiest Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Heat the skillet. You’ll want to heat your pan over medium-low heat. This will give your cheese time to melt and get extra gooey before your bread gets too browned.
- Melt the butter. Melt the butter in a small bowl, then add the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Assemble your sandwiches. Brush the outside of your bread with the butter mixture, and place onto your preheated skillet, butter side down. Then, place a slice of cheddar cheese and slice of havarti cheese on the bread, and then top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Grill those sandwiches. Cook until the first side is golden brown and your cheese is melted. Flip, and continue cooking until the second side is nice and golden. Repeat for the rest of the sandwiches.
- Dig in. Remove from the skillet, cut in half, and enjoy the gooiest grilled cheese you’ve ever made.
Tips & Suggestions
What is the best cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches?
There are a lot of different options out there, but you want to look for a creamy cheese that melts well. We love the balance of flavor and gooeyness that we get from creamy havarti and classic cheddar. Some other great options are:
- American Cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese (if you like a little heat!)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
What is the best thing to put on a grilled cheese sandwich?
If you want to take your grilled cheese sandwich to the next level, here are some delicious additions you can adding to the inside of your sandwich:
- Fig Jam
- Caramelized Onions
- Thinly Sliced Apples
- Garlic Powder & Italian Seasoning
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Looking for More Cheesy Sandwich Recipes?
- Grilled Cheese with Cauliflower Crust
- Bacon Avocado Grilled Cheese Dippers
- Cheesy Breakfast Sliders
- Healthy Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwich
The Gooiest Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Preheat a skillet over medium/low heat. Combine melted butter and olive oil and lightly brush each slice of bread with the mixture.
- Place 2 slices of bread into the skillet, butter side down.
- Place a slice of cheddar and a slice of havarti on the bread. Top with another slice of bread. Cook until the bottom slice of bread is golden brow and then flip it over.
- Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted and gooey. This will take about 5 minutes. You want to keep the heat on a lower setting than normal so that the cheese can melt, but the bread won't get overly done.
- Remove the sandwich from the skillet. Repeat until all remaining ingredients have been used. Serve with our favorite creamy tomato soup.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie