- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 medium carrot
- 1/4 medium onion, red
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, green
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon OREGANO, DRIED
- 1/4 medium lime
- 8 slice bread, whole wheat
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cup mandarin oranges, canned in juice
- Shred zucchini and carrot; finely chop onion and pepper. Shred cheese (if necessary).
- Combine cheese, zucchini, carrot, onion, pepper, salsa, cumin, oregano, and juice of the lime wedge in a medium bowl. Divide among 4 slices of bread, then top with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Preheat a sandwich press. If you don’t have a sandwich press, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan, place a medium skillet on top of the sandwiches, then weigh it down with 4 15-ounce cans. Cook the sandwiches about 2 minutes until golden on one side; then, reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the sandwiches, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook another 2 minutes or until the second side is golden. Remove from heat and repeat with remaining sandwiches, adding more oil to the pan if needed.
- Serve with mandarin oranges on the side.
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 468mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 17g