Holidays are a great day to put some warm and delicious Raspberry Rolls (for letter R) in the oven! We made these last night, intending to eat them for breakfast today, but they turned into dessert last night as we decided we wanted to eat them right out of the oven.
- Use any whole wheat bread or rolls recipe. (The one I used posted at the end)
- After the first rising of dough, roll out dough on prepared counter into a rectangle.
- Take 1 cup frozen raspberries. In small bowl combine 1 TBL. corn starch and 1 TBL cold water. Pour water/corn starch over frozen berries. Microwave berries for 1 minute. Take out and mash slightly.
- Spread raspberry/ corn starch mixture over bread dough. Roll up dough, beginning with the long side of the rectangle.
- Slice rolls using a string or dental floss. Wrap string around the tube of dough, bring to the top and cross at the top, cinching off a roll so it doesn’t get crushed.
- Place rolls on cookie sheet or in a greased cake pan.
- Rise one more time (about 30 minutes).
- Bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes, or until tops begin to brown.
To make these rolls with raspberries rather than butter and brown sugar (as you would with cinnamon rolls) is a healthy way to start your kids day!
When making whole wheat rolls, experiment with different whole wheat flours. Lucky for us, my town is famous for being the home of Lehi Roller Mills (famous because it’s where they filmed Footloose!! Remember that awesome movie?) They literally have the best whole wheat flour in the universe! If you keep getting a dense and heavy product when trying to make whole wheat breads and rolls, try different kinds of whole wheat flour until you get the texture and density you desire.
Whole Wheat Quick Rolls
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 TBL. yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TBL butter
Mix 3 1/2 cups of the flour, salt, and yeast in a mixer. Warm up water and butter in microwave until butter is melted. Add milk to water/butter. Add honey to combined liquids. Add liquids to flour mixture and mix well. Add the last 1/2 cup of flour. Let rise in greased bowl for 15-30 minutes. Shape into rolls. Let rise another 15-30 minutes. Bake as directed by recipe.
I wanted to give a shout out to my neighbor who developed the best screen protector for phones, in the world! Once I took off the original screen protector and put on the one he gave me, from XOSkin, I could finally see my screen again! It was like going from cloudy to clear! Plus, this is a must if you have sticky little fingers always trying to get ahold of your phone. lol