Your kids will love the familiar taste of sloppy joes in this plant-based makeover! Wholesome, high-fiber lentils combine with veggies and spices to make a hearty filling for a whole grain bun.
Sloppy LentilsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup lentils, raw
- 4 cup water
- 14 1/2 ounce stewed tomatoes, canned
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 regular hamburger buns, whole wheat
- 2 cup watermelon
- Chop onion and green pepper and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; sauté 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover; simmer on medium-low for at least 45 minutes until lentils are softened.
- Serve on hamburger buns with fruit on the side.