This Red, White, and Blue Berry Banana Smoothie is as healthy as it is patriotic. Filled with organic fruit, almondmilk, and flax, it is a perfect way to start the day and your kids will love the stripes!
I love using frozen organic fruit because:
- it is frozen at its peak freshness
- it is available year round
- it is generally less expensive than fresh organic fruit, especially when out of season
- it is great in smoothies!
This smoothie is made with three separate layers, but you are welcome to just blend all of the ingredients together at once if you are in a hurry! But it sure is super cute all separated out into individual colors, right?! And cute goes pretty far when it comes to getting my toddler to devour fruits and veggies. She especially liked this pink cookie dough and these super pink strawberry ombre creamsicles!
So what’s in the layers?
RED: frozen organic strawberries, raspberry acai juice (but any juice will work), and a bit of honey.
WHITE: frozen organic banana, fresh banana, unsweetened vanilla almondmilk (but any milk will work), and a few ice cubes.
BLUE: frozen organic blueberries, unsweetened vanilla almondmilk, and ground flax.
This red, white, and blue smoothie is perfect for Memorial Day weekend, the 4th of July, or any day for that matter!
Kelly is the author, recipe creator, and food photographer behind the blog Nosh and Nourish. She incorporates nourishing superfoods into every meal for her husband, adorable toddler, and herself (think quinoa, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, spinach, blueberries, etc..) and manages to keep everything tasting absolutely delicious! She is also the author of the cookbook Superfoods at Every Meal, on shelves now.
- 2 cup strawberries, frozen, sweetened, whole
- 1 cup raspberry juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 medium banana
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 cup blueberries
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed, ground
- If you do not want the separate layers, just blend everything together at once in a high-powered blender.
- If you DO want layers, start by blending the red layer ingredients together. Pour into individual glasses, about 1/3 full. Set glasses in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Rinse out the blender jar to remove any remaining red layer mixture. Then, add in your white layer ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour the white layer over the frozen red layer, filling about 2/3 full. Set glasses back in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse out the blender jar to remove any remaining white layer mixture. Then, add in your blue layer ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour the blue layer over the frozen white layer, filling to the top.
- Serve layered with a straw.