Who said carrots have to only be orange?! Carrots come in every color of the rainbow, and when you dress up this rainbow salad with orange poppyseed dressing, your kitchen is sure to pop with color and the kids will come running back for more!
Make it colorful – and taste good!
This is exactly how nature made them, and they really are as colorful as the rainbow!
Renee blogs at Raising Generation Nourished, and with 3 girls ages 5 and under, she is passionate about raising the next generation of kids with a better understanding where their food comes from and how food affects their bodies.
- 5 large (7-1/4″ to 8-/1/2″ long) carrot
- 2 medium orange
- 1/4 cup oil, avocado
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, white wine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- The dressing ingredients can go right into a pint mason jar with a lid to shake it up – dressing done!
- Put the julienne peeled carrots into a medium mixing bowl, pour about half the dressing, and combine. Depending on your taste, you can add more dressing.
- If you want the carrots to have a much softer texture for littler ones chewing, you can “sweat” the julienned carrots in a colander with few pinches of sea salt. The salt draws out moisture in the carrots and makes them have a softer texture. After they sweat about 20 minutes you can toss the carrots with the dressing.