Our basic pumpkin cookie recipe… a bit healthier than traditional cookies, but just as tasty!
Have extra pumpkin or just love to make all these pumpkin? Try our super yummy Pumpkin Spice Cake!
Fall is definitely in the air. I’m beginning to want to make pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, and anything pumpkin. My dad used to make our pumpkin pie from whole pumpkins all the time, despite easy access to canned pumpkin! He just loved to be in the kitchen and cook.
The original recipe these pumpkin cookies started with required a whole cup of shortening! I decided it would be a good day to do a little experimenting. We came up with this healthier version of a pumpkin cookie, although it’s still a cookie! Pumpkin cookies are one cookie that is OK to end up a little cakey-er, in my opinion. So cutting the shortening, while it got rid of some of the flakiness, it was still plenty sweet, and plenty good.
Also, as a personal choice we replaced the chocolate chips with raisins. You do NOT have to do this, but it could be a good way to introduce kids to raisins. They really can be the perfect sweet treat for kids, and unfortunately, raisins have gotten a bad reputation. So, for this recipe, feel free to swap out the raisins for chocolate chips, but don’t dismiss them altogether! Try it at least one time.
For more pumpkin recipes, some of my favorites are:
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin, canned
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup raisins, seedless
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl stir together egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture. Stir in raisins.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray coating. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 1-inch apart onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack.