- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper/chili flakes
- 1/4 cup brown rice, raw
- 4 cup water
- 1 cup lentils, raw
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 cup spinach
- 4 slice whole wheat baguette
- 2 cup strawberries
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté chopped peppers, onions, mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add grated, fresh ginger and cook 1 minute longer. Add cumin, chili flakes, brown rice, water and lentils. (Do not add the salt yet since adding salt too early when cooking lentils may cause them to become soft). Boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Next add the salt and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in 1/4 wedge of lemon juice and 1-2 cups of spinach. Serve with whole wheat baguette and berries.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 336mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g