I love blueberries! I could eat buckets full of them! I really could. I used to live in Oregon in high school, and out there, they grew like weeds. People giving away blueberries like they give away zucchini in Utah. I told my husband, when we retire, we must move to a place that grow blueberries so easily, or at least not cost a small fortune to get some. Since living in Utah, there is a small window where blueberries are affordable and amazing, and the rest of the year we eat them frozen.
Not only do they taste amazing, but blueberries are so good for you! They are:
- High in antioxidants that fight inflammation
- High in Vitamin C to help kids build better immunity
- A good source of Vitamin K- Great for bone health
- Shown to improve brain function! A recent brain conference I went to showed the link between blueberries improving Alzheimer symptoms. I immediately bought blueberries on the way home from that conference! LOL
So, of course when I saw an opportunity to work with the Blueberry Council, I applied for it! And the recipe my kids helped me create for this post, was this Layered Frozen Yogurt Blueberry Lemon Pie! Here is what we did:
First we made our graham cracker crust. I used
- 2 cups Annie’s Bunny Graham Crackers
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1Tablespoon coconut
Put all of that in a food processor and processed until it began to hold together.
Then, we pressed the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a pie plate.
Next, we used
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries &
- 2 cups of yogurt (we used plain, but use vanilla if your kids don’t like the tart flavor of plain).
Put this in the food processor and pulsed until it was mixed together. We spread the blueberry yogurt on the graham cracker crust and put it in the freezer for 1 hour.
Next, we spread two more cups of plain yogurt on the blueberry yogurt layer, and topped it with blueberries and lemon zest.
We returned it to the freezer for 1 more hour. That is all! Any longer than 1 more hour and your yogurt pie is too frozen to enjoy. 2 hours total in the freezer (in our opinion) is the perfect consistency. You can of course leave it in the freezer for a few days, but before you eat it, set it out on the counter for 30 minutes- 1 hour to soften it up.
So, go get some blueberries today! Whether you get frozen or fresh, they are both going to be great for your family.
- 2 cup, crushed graham crackers
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 2 cup blueberries, frozen
- 2 cup yogurt, plain
- 2 cup yogurt, plain
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 medium lemon
- To make the crust, put graham crackers, coconut oil, and coconut in a food processor and process until it begins to hold together.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a pie plate.
- To make the filling, put the frozen blueberries and yogurt and zest from one lemon in the food processor and pulse until it is mixed together.
- Spread the blueberry yogurt on the graham cracker crust and put it in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Zest lemon.
- Spread two more cups of plain yogurt on the blueberry yogurt layer, and top it with blueberries and lemon zest.
- Return it to the freezer for 1 more hour. That is all!