One of the first things kids can learn to do themselves in the kitchen is to use the toaster! I remember my kids being so proud of the morning they “made” waffles, when really, they just toasted some commercial waffles! However, it’s probably been at least 8 years since I purchased toaster waffles. There is no need to! Homemade toaster waffles are better than store bought because:
- They are cheaper! I calculated, 0.10 per waffle, vs. 0.24 per waffle.
- They have fresher and better ingredients! (see below).
- They taste better!
All you need is about 45 minutes on a slow day (depending on how fast your waffle iron can crank them out)
Flax Freezer Waffles- Homemade and Toaster Ready
Step 1: Mix up ingredients (full recipe below).
Step 2: Make waffles on a waffle iron.
Step 3: Stack Waffles with wax paper or parchment paper separating your waffles.
Step 4: Allow to cool and then place in freezer safe bag and freeze.
Step 5: When you are ready to eat, pop one frozen waffle in the toaster and toast until no longer frozen in the middle!
Step 6: Add fresh fruit and real Maple Syrup!
- 1 cup flaxseed, ground
- 3 1/4 cup flour, whole wheat
- 5 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 4 large egg
- 3 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grind flax seeds into flax meal, OR purchase already ground flax meal (and still use 1 cup ground).
- Mix all ingredients together and make into waffles.
- Cool waffles completely and then freeze in a freezer safe bag with wax paper separating the waffles.