We went out with some friends to a Thai restaurant recently and for dessert we had mango sticky rice. I thought I was in heaven – it was SO good. I’m pretty sure it was also drowning in sugar because it was very sweet. I wanted to try making it at home as a simple low-sugar version. So this is what I came up with:
It was creamy, sweet and delicious My 2 year old ate it for a snack and for breakfast this morning. Success.
Mango Sticky Rice
- Steam the sticky rice until soft.
- Meanwhile, place the coconut milk in a pot and heat over medium heat until hot. Do not boil. Add the sugar and salt and stir to dissolve completely.
- When the sticky rice is cooked, turn it out into a large bowl and pour 1 cup of the hot coconut milk over; reserve the rest. Stir to mix the liquid into the rice, then let stand for 20 minutes to an hour to allow the flavors to blend.
- Peel and chop the mangoes.
- If you want to serve individually, place a round mound of rice on a plate and top with chopped mango.
- Stir the remaining sweetened coconut milk thoroughly, transfer to a small serving bowl and pass it separately, with a spoon, so people can spoon on extra.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie