Healthy dinner idea … Cheesy & Creamy Potato Soup Recipe!
I was always curious why people loved soup. I didn’t care for it much growing up, and even in my younger adult years, I didn’t care if I never had soup the rest of my life. That was until one day, soon after I was married, a co-worker brought a cheesy and creamy potato soup to a work party. It was actually this creamy potato soup! I’m not sure why my mother had never introduced me to creamy soups before! I was hooked from day one. I got her recipe (almost 25 years ago).
Since that day, I’ve made creamy potato soup with a variety of ingredients for my kids. But this recipe is always the one my daughter (who is almost 18) asks me to make for every birthday or special occasion. I’m hoping it will be one of your family’s new favorite dinners too!
What do you put in potato soup?
The ingredients will change depending on if we are talking about a creamy soup or broth soup. For a creamy potato soup, I like:
For the veggies:
- green onions
And to make the soup creamy:
- Milk or cream
- flour to thicken
- Sour cream
What would be good to serve with potato soup?
We love to serve our potato soup with bread or rolls and a green salad!
Is potato soup good for you?
It can be! Packing your soups full of vegetables is an excellent way to increase the nutritiousness of potato soup!
So, let us know what you think of this cheesy and creamy potato soup! For our other favorite creamy soups, check out:
- Crockpot Creamy Tortillini soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Enchilada Soup
- Creamy white chicken lasagna soup
- Creamy butternut squash soup
- Homemade cream of chicken soup
- 10 medium russet potato
- 3 medium carrot
- 6 cup whole mushrooms, brown, Italian, or Crimini
- 3 stalk green onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 cup milk
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounce cheddar cheese
- 4 cup spinach
- 2 medium carrot
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Peel and chop potatoes; dice carrots and mushrooms and place everything in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the veggies and bring to a boil. Cook until veggies have become tender; approximately 10 minutes.
- Add 2-3 cups of the potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms to a blender; blend until smooth, adding cooking liquid as needed. Set aside.
- Slice green onions and mince garlic. Heat a large saucepan over medium and add butter. Once butter is melted, add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and onion powder; mix to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat, until onions have softened.
- Add flour and stir continuously until thick and bubbly. Then add the milk and broth very slowly until it forms a thick white sauce.
- Pour pureed vegetables into the white sauce, then add the rest of the cooked veggies. Grate the cheese; add to the soup and stir to combine.
- For the salad, add the spinach to a large bowl. Peel and slice the carrots; cut the tomatoes in half. Add to the bowl and toss with your favorite dressing, if desired.
- Serve soup topped with additional cheese, if desired, and salad on the side.