Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow? Whatever you call it, this Healthier Holiday Puppy Chow is a favorite holiday treat! Our version cuts down on the sugar and butter for a treat you can feel better about indulging in.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
What is Puppy Chow?
Puppy Chow is a popular snack made with Chex, chocolate chips, and peanut butter and tossed with powdered sugar. It’s a simple, no bake treat that kids love! We love that it only has a handful of ingredients that we usually have on hand. The original recipe has a ton of sugar. In our version we cut way back on the sugar and used half the regular amount of butter- but it’s just as sweet and delicious! The addition of sprinkles gives it the perfect holiday flair.
How to Make Puppy Chow
This recipe is so simple that my kids can almost make it by themselves! Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter together and drizzle it over the cereal. Toss carefully to coat, then add to a ziplock bag with the peanut butter and gently shake. That’s it! We added some sprinkles to give it some holiday flair. These are totally optional!
Can you make Puppy Chow without peanut butter?
While most versions of Puppy Chow include peanut butter, you can substitute the peanut butter for sunbutter to make it allergy friendly! It will have a different flavor than the peanut butter version- but it’ll still be super tasty. It’s a great choice when you are trying to work with a peanut allergy.
How fun is this? We tried adding some peppermint extract to one batch. If you love peppermint, it’s a great variation! Swap out the sprinkles for crushed candy canes to boost the peppermint flavor even more. This makes a great gift tied up in a cellophane bag or in a jar tied up with a holiday bow.
I WOULD LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! If you make this Healthier Holiday Puppy Chow recipe, will you leave a comment and star rating below? Your feedback is super helpful for SHK parents and other readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Thank you!
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter natural
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp holiday sprinkles
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Pour cereal in a large bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 30 second intervals until it’s melted. You can also melt on the stove top over low heat. Stir well to make sure everything is combined and then add the vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate mixture onto the cereal and stir gently until it’s coated. Toss sprinkles in if adding.
- Add the cereal to a large ZipLoc bag along with the powdered sugar, and gently shake until it’s coated.
- Pour the mixture into a serving bowl. Add a few more sprinkles if they fell off. Serve and enjoy!
- *optional: add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract with the vanilla extract for a minty twist! You could even swap the sprinkles with crushed candy canes.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie