Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole is chock full of fresh zucchini, creamy cheese and a surprise ingredient that gives it a crunch on top! Use up your garden surplus with this comforting, nutritious meal.
Need to use up some fresh seasonal zucchini? This creamy, nourishing casserole is just begging for a spot in your next meal plan.
You’ll love the balanced nutrition in this dish: eggs, yogurt and cheese add protein and fat. Rice and whole grain Chex cereal provides carbohydrates. And zucchini brings all the vitamins and phyto-nutrient goodness of veggies.
Try this recipe with your kids, or for company. You won’t be disappointed! (Though you may have trouble getting your fork in edgewise.)
Try This Recipe with Your Picky Eaters
Zucchini is a fabulous veggie for picky eaters because it’s mild, soft, and just a little bit green. A few other qualities make this dish promising for picky kids:
- It has crunchy Chex cereal on top. Fun!
- It’s held together by creamy dairy kids love: cheese, sour cream, and yogurt.
- Familiar rice gives this casserole a chewy texture and comforting taste that kids like.
Tips for Making Great Zucchini Casserole
This hearty and filling casserole is perfect for summertime when garden zucchini is plentiful and you need to use it up. (Especially when you find yourself with one or two forgotten zucchini squashes that grew to the size of a truck. Oops!)
One of the most important steps to a great zucchini casserole is to salt and drain those zucchini shreds. This ensures your casserole will be rich and creamy… not watery.
Grated and frozen zucchini will work in this recipe, too! Just defrost and drain like normal.
Feel free to cook the rice ahead of time, or use leftover rice from another dish (you’ll need about 1.5-2 cups of cooked rice.) You can also substitute brown rice for a chewier texture and extra fiber and vitamins.
What to Serve with Zucchini Casserole
This versatile recipe works as both a meatless main dish, or a healthy side. Love that!
If this casserole is your main course, serve it with a simple green salad or fruit salad, and crusty whole grain bread.
If you’re planning this as a side, serve it with grilled chicken or salmon and fresh summer fruit.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Casserole?
As much as we love a good freezable dish, this isn’t a great option for freezing and reheating. Any residual moisture in your zucchini will seep out when you defrost it, and you’ll lose that rich and creamy taste and texture that makes this casserole so special.
You DO have the green light to use frozen grated zucchini, though, like we mentioned above. Just make sure it’s totally defrosted so you can drain it well.
More Tasty Recipes Featuring Zucchini
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 3/4 cup white rice, short grain
- 12 ounce colby-jack cheese
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup chives, fresh, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup rice chex cereal
- 2 tablespoon butter, salted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Cook rice as directed on package, set aside. Grate the cheese.
- Grate zucchini and place in colander. Toss with 1 teaspoon of salt and allow to sit in colander over a bowl to allow excess moisture to drain. After 10 minutes, squeeze more moisture out and then add zucchini to a large mixing bowl (you will need about 4 cups of zucchini).
- Add sour cream, yogurt, baking powder, and eggs to zucchini and mix well. Add cooked rice, 2 cups of the cheese, chopped chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Crush the cereal and melt the butter. Toss together; sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through.