Hard boiled eggs alone are a perfect snack in my opinion. Many days when my kids walk in the door from school, they will have one for a snack. I couldn’t be more thrilled. Eggs have:
- All 9 essential amino acids!
- They contain natural occurring vitamin D
- They promote healthy nails and hair
- The combination of protein and fat make them a satisfying and filling snack.
Even though we eat them pretty quickly, the amount we hard boil for dying eggs usually exceed our normal consumptions. So here are a few extra things you can do with your hard boiled eggs:
- Egg Salad Sandwich! This doesn’t have to be un-healthy. Our recipe is:
- Deviled Eggs (really… they are devils!)
- Potato Salad
- Topping for Green Salads
- Make a sailboat
- Play the egg drop game. My kids actually do this at school.
- Make English Muffin Pizzas. These look good.
- Freeze for later. This article says (I have never personally tried it), that you can chop hard cooked eggs and store in the freezer until you are ready to top your salads.
- Make breakfast burritos, except use your hard boiled eggs. Simply slice eggs. Add eggs, salsa, and small amount of cheese to a whole wheat tortilla.
- Plain egg sandwich. I craved this every morning during my pregnancies. I had 2 slices whole wheat toast with sliced hard boiled eggs in the middle. That is all, plain and delicious!
- Go beyond the colored egg, and decorate with other things. This list from family fun includes a bumble bee, bluebird, and Dyeving Dudes!
Can you think of anything else you like to use hard boiled eggs for?
Also, I don’t know if it’s all in my head or not, but I seem to get a cleaner peel when I start at the fat end of the egg, rather than in the middle.. It works for me!