Start your morning off with this is simple festive breakfast that will fill everyone up. Cream of wheat is topped with fresh berries in a patriotic pattern.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
What is Cream of Wheat?
Cream of wheat is a popular breakfast porridge that is made from farina. Farina is a type of hot cereal made from wheat that has been milled to form a fine consistency. It is lower in calories and fiber than oatmeal, but is rich in iron, B vitamins, and selenium.
It is smooth, has a thick texture and creamy taste. It is fast and easy to make and is really versatile. You can make it in the microwave, stovetop, and even a slow cooker. We like to stir milk and honey into our cream of wheat and add lots of fresh fruit.
How to Make Cream of Wheat
This creamy breakfast porridge takes less than 5 minutes to make!
- Whisk together milk and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and add your cream of wheat cereal. Whisk until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- It will continue to thicken as it cools. You can add more liquid at this point to get the texture you want.
- Remove from heat and let stand for another minute.
- Ladle into bowls and add blueberries and strawberries in a star pattern for a patriotic look!
Where Can I Buy Cream of Wheat?
You can find the Cream of Wheat brand at most local grocery stores. I really like this Bob’s Red Mill brand.
More Favorite Hot Breakfast Cereal Recipes
Patriotic Porridge Cream of Wheat
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup cream of wheat
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Combine milk and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add cream of wheat and whisk so there are no lumps. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened – about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute.
- Pour into individual bowls. Top with blueberries around the edge of the bowl and sliced strawberries shaped like a star in the middle. Drizzle with honey.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie