Wrapped in a delicious homemade pizza dough, these mummy hot dogs aren’t just for the kids anymore.
How to Make Mummy Hot Dogs
This fun Mummy Hot Dog Halloween dinner is incredibly easy to make. If you know you are going to be short on time on Halloween because of festivities, you can make your pizza dough ahead of time wrap the hot dogs, and put them in the fridge until you are ready to bake them!
To assemble the mummy hot dogs: Once your pizza dough is rolled out into a rectangle, take a pizza cutter and cut strips about 1/4″ wide. Then take one strip and begin wrapping it around the hot dog starting at the bottom. Once you get to the top, leave a space for the eyes.
Our homemade pizza dough recipe takes these mummy hot dogs from just being a ‘kid food’, to, ‘wow these are actually really delicious’ food. It is fluffy and chewy, with a crunch on the outside.
You can use a dot of mustard to make the eyes, which is quick and easy. I wanted a bit bigger eyes and so I put a tiny dollop of cream cheese and a piece of olive on top of that.
What to Serve with Mummy Hot Dogs
It is definitely fun to serve a dip with these mummy dogs and we like to serve it with a ketchup spider web. To make the spiderweb:
- Place your ketchup in a small bowl.
- Next, carefully squirt mustard into circles that get progressively bigger towards the the bowl’s edge.
- Last, take a toothpick and drage it from the center to the edge around the circle to make a spider web shape.
We always like to serve our Mummy Hot Dogs with something fresh on the side. A few ideas are:
- Carrot and Celery Sticks
- Apple Slices
- Green Grapes
- Bell Pepper Slices
- Broccoli Salad
- Fall Green Salad with pears
We hope you have a spooktacular Halloween season and enjoy making memories with your kids through food!
Check Out Some of Our Other Fun Halloween Food Recipes
Mummy Hot Dogs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make 1/2 the recipe of our pizza dough for these mummy dogs.
- Once your pizza dough is made, roll pizza dough into a long rectangle.
- With a pizza cutter, slice strips about 1/4" wide.
- Wrap the pieces of dough around each hot dog by stretching the dough slightly and letting it overlap and criss-cross. You don't need to completely cover the hot dog. Leave a gap at the top for the 'mummy eyes'
- Place the mummy hot dogs on your baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- You can create the eyes a couple of different ways. The first is to squirt just a tiny bit of mustard for each eye. The second is to take a toothpick and place a tiny dollop of cream cheese for each eye and then a piece of chopped olive.
- Place ketchup in a small bowl. Squirt thin circle rings of mustard on top of the ketchup and then take a toothpick and drag it from the inside of the circles to the outside to create a spider web shape. Serve the mummy hot dogs with the spiderweb ketchup.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie