Leftover brown rice is the best way to eat this pudding! Here’s my Leftover Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding Recipe.
If you want to use more whole grains beyond whole wheat, there are so many others! There are so many other delicious whole grains with different nutrients that can be of benefit to our family. One easy to prepare whole grain is brown rice. While rice is common on most dinner tables, it’s also great for breakfast. Rice is also great because
- it stores well,
- few kids have sensitivity to it,
- it’s super cheap, and
- it makes great leftovers!
If there are ever ways to re-purpose leftovers, I will use them!
So, here it is:
- Take 2 cups cooked brown rice, reheated.
- In a blender, blend up
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (or low fat milk with 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup berries (strawberries)
- 1 tsp. honey or agave
- Mix the milk and berries with your warmed up brown rice.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to absorb
- Top with extra berries or other fruit.
- Makes 4, 1/2 cup servings.
Although it sounds unconventional, it’s really not much different than if you were eating soaked wheat berries, or even some whole oat groats.
Have you made the switch to brown rice yet? You should! Here is why:
- Brown rice has 349% more fiber than white rice
- 203% more Vitamin E,
- 185% more Vitamin B6,
- 219% more magnesium,
- 19% more protein.
Instant brown rice is just as good as long cooking rice. You can cook brown rice ahead of time and put bags of it in your freezer. Defrost on a busy day and warm it up. It doesn’t have to take lot’s of time.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie