Crockpot Citrus Chicken Fajitas
Crockpot Citrus Chicken Fajitas are a great weeknight set-it-and-forget-it dinner. Sweet bell peppers, tangy citrus flavors, and savory chicken on fresh tortillas makes this dinner a family favorite!
Make Ahead Quick Meal
Chicken fajitas are a delicious dinner that most adults and kids love. They can be time intensive because there is a lot of chopping and cutting involved. The great thing about making them in a slow cooker is that you can do all of the prep at a time when you aren’t feeling rushed. Chop everything the night before and then add it all to the crockpot in the morning for a stress-free meal.
Flour Vs. Corn Tortillas
The flavor and texture of flour and corn tortillas are very different. But that isn’t all that is different. The nutrition profile of the two are also very different.
- Flour: 291 calories
- Corn: 209 calories
- Flour: 16% of your daily value
- Corn: 11% of your daily value
- Flour: 7.4 grams (1.2 grams saturated fat)
- Corn: 2.7 grams (0.4 grams saturated fat)
- Flour: 16% of your daily value
- Corn: 14% of your daily value
- Flour: 10% of your daily value
- Corn: 24% of your daily value
- Flour: 2.6 grams
- Corn: .8 grams
- Flour: 30% of your daily value
- Corn: 2% of your daily value
Overall, corn tortillas are a healthier option than flour.
What is good to serve with crockpot chicken fajitas?
The great thing about fajitas is that there are so many different foods going on, that they can stand on their own. But, if you do want to make it a more complete meal, this is what we like to serve our chicken fajitas with:
- Black or refried beans
- Toppings: Avocado or guacamole, fresh tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese, or salsa
- Fresh fruit – watermelon, pineapple or mango
How Do I Make Crockpot Chicken Fajitas with Citrus?
This recipe is really easy – basically you just add everything to your crockpot! We love the added flavor of the limes and oranges that everything cooks in.
- If you use chicken thighs, the meat will literally fall apart and so you probably won’t need to shred it. If you use breasts, you might want to shred it a little before serving.
More Favorite Crockpot Weeknight Dinners
Our Favorite Crockpot: Cook n’ Carry 6 Quart Portable Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Citrus Fajita Chicken
- 3 medium lime
- 1 medium orange
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, orange
- 1 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 1 medium onion
- 6 medium Tortilla, Flour
- 6 ounce cheddar cheese
- 1 medium avocado
- Add the juice of the limes and the orange to a mixing bowl. Mince garlic and add to juices with chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper, salt and chopped cilantro. Whisk together.
- Slice chicken and place into crockpot. Slice peppers and onion, place on top of chicken in crock pot. Pour in the citrus juice and seasonings.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Place chicken and veggies in tortillas topped with grated cheese and avocado slices.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie